Coffman Union, East Bank buildings see continued closures through Thursday at noon amidst calls for “escalation” of protests

UMN closes Coffman Union, Walter Library and other campus buildings Monday afternoon amidst protest escalations throughout the week.
Image by David Stager
The encampments as of Tuesday afternoon. Several buildings were closed by the University because of the protests’ encampments.

The University of Minnesota – Twin Cities released a SAFE – U advisory to close a dozen East Bank Campus buildings at 2:00 p.m. on Monday. 

The University sent three additional follow-up advisories through Thursday that closed the buildings through Thursday at noon.

The following buildings will be closed:

• Coffman Union
  • Weisman Museum
  • Hasselmo Hall
  • Ford Hall
  • Vincent Murphy Hall
  • Tate Lab
  • Morrill Hall
  • Northrop Auditorium
  • Johnston Hall
  • Walter Library
  • Smith Hall
  • Kolthoff Hall

All other buildings on the East Bank Campus will be on U Card access only, the statement reads.

Activities and events originally planned to be hosted in those buildings are asked to find an alternative location, switch to remote operations or reschedule, according to the University’s follow-up statement.

Since the arrests of nine people protesting the University’s financial involvement in the Israel-Hamas war last Tuesday, there have been no arrests in the following week of rallies, marches and encampments. Now, Instagram posts by student groups leading the protests are calling for an escalation of support.

“WE NEED NUMBERS,” an Instagram post from Jewish Voice for Peace – Twin Cities reads. “Students and community members need to show up and be ready to help us prepare for major actions coming this week!” 

Vice President and Provost Rachel Croson said in a campus-wide that to ensure the safety of community members, buildings will close and updates will be communicated through SAFE-U messages. Classes should be moved to remote delivery or rescheduled to another location. 

Croson said protestors are expected to adhere to student and employee conduct policies while engaging in freedom of expression.

“The University unequivocally condemns vandalism, threatening behavior, and acts of violence, and these will not be tolerated on our campus,” Croson said in the statement. “Such behavior not only undermines the principles of public discourse and respect for others but also jeopardizes the safety and well-being of our community.”

Croson added in the statement that all members of the community are encouraged to use the Bias Response and Referral Network to report incidents of harassment, bias and discrimination.

According to several Students of a Democratic Society (SDS) and Young Democratic Socialists of America members, Monday’s protest reached its peak between 2:30 and 3 p.m. with more than 700 people in attendance.

Other student groups affiliated with the UMN Divest coalition, including Students for Climate Justice and Students for Justice in Palestine, were also represented.

Organizations outside of student affiliation involved in Monday’s protest included the MN Anti-War Committee and the Party for Socialism and Liberation, according to SDS member Liv Hackbarth.

Merlin Van Alstine, also a member of SDS, said the shutting down of the buildings was a complete overreaction from the University.

“If they are so scared of their students they should come out and talk to us and not shut down all the buildings on the last day of finals,” Van Alstine said.

Van Alstine said that the organized coalition of protestors does not have any specific action plans for the remainder of the week that they are willing to share. They added that this action comes as a response to the lack of administrative acknowledgment.

UMPD made nine arrests on trespassing charges on Tuesday: six current students, two former students and one faculty member. All had been released from Hennepin County Jail the same day in the afternoon.

The arrestees received a one-year ban from campus while detained. As of Thursday, the ban was lifted for all except the two former students. Their warnings were not rescinded due to two former students “not belonging to the campus”, according to a University press release.

Hackbarth said the use of tents, despite UMPD’s response to their first encampment attempt, is a symbolic decision meant to represent “permanence” in their efforts.

“We expect the cops to show up, but we are not afraid,” Hackbarth said.

Just under 30 tents were erected and occupied near the Northrop end of the Mall at 4 p.m. during Monday’s protest.

More than 160 faculty members signed a letter to Ettinger, Croson and Vice President of Student Affairs Calvin Phillips addressing their outrage toward the administration allowing “Police to intimidate, remove and arrest students who gathered in peaceful protest.”

The letter, drafted on Wednesday by members of Faculty, Librarians, Alumni, Graduate Students, and Staff for Justice in Palestine (FLAGS JP), also asks for “Senior administrators to meet with student protesters” to discuss demands through “authentic dialogue.”

University Interim President Jeff Ettinger reached out to leaders of several student groups Monday morning, offering to continue conversations around the Israel-Hamas war, according to an email statement from a University spokesperson. The statement adds that because Ettinger sent the invitations just hours before the protest, no meetings have been scheduled.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

View Comments (20)