Street Style: fall fashion feels

As fall ushers in, these folks show us a thing or two about how to make the wardrobe shift.
(Left to right) Hayley Borsenik, Eli Miller, Tianna Larson, Matt Swinney
Image by Alex Tuthill-Preus
Fall is a style maven’s dream. After a long summer filled with shorts, T-shirts and button-downs, layers come back out of the closet, adding complexity and dimension to outfits. 

The need to keep warm requires coats, vests and sweaters, and the hues of such pieces often reflect the beautiful changes happening during the season.

Though the masses looked better than usual as the colder months approach, these four folks stood out with their transitive layers and mixture of light and heavier pieces on a brisk, sunny Saturday afternoon in Uptown.

Matt Swinney, 37

Co-owner of Evolution Salon

What he wore: J.Crew shirt, Diesel jeans, Nike sneakers, Slate & Stone peacoat.
In some Instagram menswear circles, October becomes Camtober

Men across the country document their choice camo pieces, and Swinney’s camouflage peacoat is a breath of fresh air from the run-of-the-mill navy and gray numbers. 

The thick Buffalo Check oxford shirt from J.Crew that Swinney wore underneath his jacket is one of the best layering pieces for men this fall, and it pairs well with anything from black jeans to chinos or wool pants.

Hayley Borsenik, 24 Marketing professional

What she wore: Target shirt and purse, Sold overalls, Sam Edelman boots, Ray-Ban sunglasses.
Overalls were once the dorky black sheep of the pant world. 

That’s no longer true, thanks to streamlined versions of the classic workwear garment. 

The slim fit is a stark contrast from the overalls of yore that pairs well with her suede Sam Edelman boots and Target shirt. 

As Borsenik and other stylish folk know, Ray-Ban Aviators give a bold, ’70s-inspired punch that livens up any outfit, making her outfit the ideal confluence between hillbilly and 
Hollywood.

Tianna Larson, 19 

University of Minnesota student

What she wore: Gap shirt, Forever 21 skirt (borrowed from friend), shoes from Francesca’s, purse from DSW, Proper & Prim necklace.

Burnt orange is one of fall’s hottest colors, and Larson’s frilled skirt epitomizes the trend’s popularity. 

The ’70s throwback color feels right for cooler weather and the changing of the leaves. 

Larson gets bonus points for her spot-on pairing of black and brown, two colors that often clash. 

People, take note: This is how to pull the tricky combo off.

Eli Miller, 23 

Web Designer

What he wore: H&M hoodie, Unbranded chinos, thrifted jacket, Blundstone boots, Oliver Sweeney sunglasses.

In a sea of Red Wing boots, Miller’s Blundstones stood out. 

For one, they’re not trendy; they’re a tad clunky but have a pleasing profile similar to that of stockier Chelsea boots. 

Their rugged utilitarianism makes them perfect for traversing the urban wilderness by bike or foot, as does a durable jacket like the thrifted piece Miller wore. 

Army green jackets never go out of style (provided they fit well), and prove the perfect foil for a pair of earth-toned chinos. 

Furthermore, Miller’s bicycle helmet is proof that safety and style aren’t mutually exclusive.