Awards program honors graduate students as leaders

A number of Graduate and Professional Student Assembly members received awards earlier this week for their involvement in student government at the University.
Cheryl Jorgensen, GAPSA’s former president, and Ben Solomon, the new president, received the President’s Student Leadership and Service Award. Also, Jorgensen received the Alumni Association Student Leadership Award.
The President’s Annual Awards Program was put on by the Office of the President, Office of the Vice President for Student Development and Athletics, Campus Involvement Center and the Alumni Association. The event, held Tuesday, honors students that have been leaders at both the University and in the community, said Jane Canney, associate president of student development and athletics.
“This is a major event within the University community,” Canney said. “It’s one of my favorite evenings of the whole year.”
Gita Uppal, a GAPSA representative for the School of Public Health, also received a Student Leadership and Service Award, along with about 60 other students.
“I don’t think any of us do any of this stuff to win an award,” Solomon said, adding that the award, which he received on his birthday, was a nice present.
It’s nice that the president recognizes student leadership, said Barbara Van Drasek, vice president of the Council of Graduate Students.
In addition to acting as GAPSA president, Jorgensen also served as president of the Student Legislative Coalition. Jorgensen recently graduated from the Law School.
This past year, Solomon, a medical student, also served as a GAPSA representative to the Board of Regents and president of the Council for Health Interdisciplinary Participation.
A number of other awards were presented, with about 150 students and faculty recognized for their involvement within the University.