Wrestling team vaults to top spot after upset over Oklahoma State

Minnesota defeated then-No. 1 Oklahoma State 21-14 in Sunday’s National Duals.

On the strength of its victory over then-No. 1 Oklahoma State in Sunday’s National Duals final, Minnesota’s wrestling team vaulted into the top spot Monday in the Wrestling International Newsmagazine national rankings.

The Gophers (12-0) topped the Cowboys (21-14), sealing the meet when top-ranked heavyweight Cole Konrad pinned two-time NCAA champion Steve Mocco in the dual’s final match.

Sophomore Mack Reiter ” ranked fourth at 133 pounds ” and true freshman Dustin Schlatter ” ranked second at 149 ” round out the three Minnesota wrestlers ranked in the top five of their respective weight classes.

Manuel Rivera, C.P. Schlatter, Matt Nagel, Gabe Dretsch and Roger Kish are also ranked in the magazine’s top 20 for their weight classes.

The Gophers will defend their top ranking this weekend against Northwestern on Friday and Iowa on Sunday. Boh dual meets will be contested at home.

Awards sweep

Minnesota’s women’s hockey team swept the weekly Western Collegiate Hockey Association awards on Tuesday after their weekend series sweep of St. Cloud State.

Sophomore forward Erica McKenzie was named the conference’s Offensive Player of the Week on the strength of her five-point performance in the Gophers’ 5-0 win Saturday night at Ridder Arena.

Freshman goaltender Kim Hanlon was named the Defensive Player of the Week after turning aside all 21 shots she faced in the Gophers’ 2-0 win Friday night in at the National Hockey Center in St. Cloud.

Freshman forward Gigi Marvin recorded two goals and two assists in Minnesota’s Saturday night win at home in Ridder Arena and was named the WCHA Rookie of the Week.