Federal agents hold arrestingforum for U law students

Officials from the FBI, CIA and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms raided the University on Wednesday.
But no guns were raised and no apprehensions were made.
The federal agents visited campus to take part in a career forum held at the Hubert H. Humphrey Center sponsored by the University Student Legal Service and the University Law School.
Part of the legal service’s 20th anniversary, the job fair brought in a wide variety of legal professionals, from private and public attorneys to FBI agents. Collins Byrd, director of admissions for the University Law School, and Joy Rikala, University Police chief, represented the University at the forum.
The diverse forum was inspired by a smaller fair that was held last year, which focused solely on careers in law enforcement.
Caron said last year’s event was so well attended that his organization decided to utilize and expand on it.
“Any time you can have a lawyer tell you what to do, rather than see it on TV, that can help you quite a bit,” said John Kokoszk, a first-year law student. “I think it would greatly benefit an undergraduate student.”
Law students and undergraduate students alike filtered in and out of the Humphrey Center for the two-hour forum.
“The fair has a great spread of people,” said Mike Johnson, a third-year sociology major who is looking into a law-related profession. “I really had no idea what to expect; there were a lot of people to talk to like the Army JAG Corps and the CIA.”
Those on hand from the legal realms were also impressed by the career fair.
“Something like this gives students all the sides of the profession,” said James Kuboushek, an agent from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. “The forum shows students what kind of agencies are out there, necessary education requirements and alerts them of internship opportunities.”
The student legal organization was founded 20 years ago by University students to address day-to-day legal problems that students commonly encounter. Two decades later, the legal services are in essence a small law firm assisting and representing students who cannot afford private council.
Because of landlord and tenant relationships, students are traditionally a target audience for housing disputes. The student legal service is in place to help students in these and other legal binds through representation, or by leading them in the right direction.