Gophers control field events at Classic

During Saturday’s meet at the Badger Classic in Madison, Wisc., one thing was clear — the field events continue to be the strengths of both the men’s and women’s track and field teams early in the season.
Gopher’s freshman Aubrey Schmitt, having already provisionally qualified for the NCAA championships, won the shot put for the second weekend in a row with a throw of 49 feet, 6 1/4 inches. Her mark of 53-3 3/4 also was good enough to win the 20-pound weight throw.
Minnesota also took second in both events, with sophomore Nicole Chimko putting the shot 45-2 1/2, and freshman Brenda Meyer heaving the 20-pound weight 48-7 1/4.
On the men’s side, Gophers junior Marcus Westberry won the triple jump by turning in a jump of 49-0 1/4. He also took fourth place in the long jump with a leap of 22-7 1/4.
Meanwhile, senior Chad Yenchseky led a group of five Gophers who placed in the shot put, by finishing third with a throw of 55-7 3/4.
In the pole vault, redshirt freshman Mike Brockwell took third by clearing 15-3. No team scores were kept at the meet.
— Michael Dougherty
Tennis
The Gophers men’s tennis team (2-1) opened its spring season this weekend by splitting a pair of nonconference matches and defeating Big Ten rival Ohio State. Against the Buckeyes, Minnesota lost the doubles point but won every singles match except at No. 4.
The women’s tennis team, meanwhile, opened its season with a 6-1 win over Florida State on Friday.
Women’s hockey
The Gophers women’s hockey team went 2-1 over the weekend, including a 2-1 victory over Yale on Sunday.
Minnesota was led by goalie Erica Killewald, who held Yale scoreless until the final minute of the game.
Men’s gymnastics
The Gophers men’s gymnastics team finished seventh at the Windy City Invitational in Chicago, 14.20 points behind first-place Iowa.