U ups its payroll, but not in all divisions

The University of Minnesota system will increase its total payroll by about 6.7 percent, almost $70 million, next year. But not all University divisions will benefit from the increase. Payroll for each division or department changes when more people are hired, the University decides to give the division a pay raise, the division is reorganized or a faculty member retires and the University decides to hire someone in a different department. One the most impactful factors on the 2009 payroll is the addition of staff and faculty. The University will add about 450 members to the payroll between the 2008 and 2009 pay periods. But as the state struggles with a large budget deficit, the University will have a hard time continuing to increase the payroll in the future, UniversityâÄôs Chief Financial Officer Richard Pfutzenreuter said. âÄúWe get $702 million dollars each year from the state of Minnesota and that number is going to go down over the next two years,âÄù Pfutzenreuter said. âÄúHow much I donâÄôt know, but it scares me.âÄù The University will also see changes in its payroll due to its strategic plan and will continue to focus more on interdisciplinary research, Pfutzenreuter said. Two divisions the University will continue to support will be the Academic Health Center and the Health Sciences division. The Academic Health Center increased its total payroll by about 19 percent and the Health Sciences increased its payroll by almost 70 percent. Pfutzenreuter said most of the Health Sciences payroll increase was due to division reorganization. The research division and the Academic Affairs division also saw total payroll increases of about 16 percent and 19 percent respectively. However, the University doesnâÄôt have enough funding for all divisions to increase their payrolls. The University of Minnesota-Morris is not keeping up with the rest of the University system when it comes to staff, faculty and payroll increases. The Morris campus is not expected to increase its staff and faculty of 420 in 2009, and its total payroll has seen essentially no increase. The Morris Math and Science division is expected to see a slight decrease in total payroll and its staff will also decrease. While math and science faculty members have benefited from a salary increase, a few well-tenured faculty members retired, which contributed to the total payroll, Division Chair Michael OâÄôReilly said. Morris has had a historical problem of lagging behind in payroll, OâÄôReilly said. âÄúIt can have ramifications, making it harder to hire new staff or faculty,âÄù OâÄôReilly said. Professors at the Morris campus generally make less than professors with the same position at the Twin Cities campus, but OâÄôReilly said he would expect the Morris payroll to increase at the same rate as the rest of the campus. The Morris Elementary and Secondary Education division will also see a decrease of total payroll in 2009. Individual faculty members in the division received a 3.5 percent pay increase, but their total payroll decreased due to retirements, Division Chair Judy Kuechle said. âÄúWeâÄôd love to have more faculties,âÄù Kuechle said. âÄúThereâÄôs always more than enough work to go around.âÄù But the lack of payroll increase at Morris doesnâÄôt necessarily mean the University is neglecting that branch of the system. âÄúIt could just be a timing thing,âÄù Pfutzenreuter said. âÄúEveryone here has budget problems.âÄù