Smart, funny, friendly

Elizabeth Wencl was an outgoing, intelligent and funny person, her friends said.

“She would do anything to make people laugh,” said Duluth sophomore Holly Betlach, who attended Owatonna Senior High School with Wencl. “She was very outgoing, definitely a people person.”

Wencl enjoyed in-line skating, dancing, shopping trips to the mall and listening to 1980s music, friends said.

“She was always the life of the party, the center of attention,” sophomore Sarah Dornfeld said.

She also managed to spend time studying, they said.

“She was always determined to make something of herself,” high school classmate Anni Ehrich said.

The 20-year-old College of Liberal Arts sophomore was interested in psychology and criminology.

“She was a very intelligent girl who always worked hard at school,” said Beth Standke, a sophomore at the University’s Duluth campus.

In high school, Wencl was involved in student council, church activities, cheerleading and the dance team.

“She was an awesome kid. She was such a hard worker, always willing to go at things one more time,” said Deidre Leer, Wencl’s high school cheerleading coach.

At the University, she made friends easily and was liked by all, friends said.

“She was a good girl,” sophomore Paul Connaker said. “I feel bad about the whole situation and I pray for the family.”

“She was the highlight of our group of friends. She was well-liked by everyone,” said Ehrich, also a sophomore at Duluth. “It is a big loss to Owatonna.”

A wake is scheduled for 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday at Michaelson Funeral Home in Owatonna. The funeral will take place at 2 p.m. Wednesday at Trinity Lutheran Church in Owatonna.