Center

A rendition of “Lift Every Voice and Sing” set the tone for a ceremony honoring African-American students Wednesday night.
Jumpy younger siblings, parents with roses and several faculty members filled Willey Hall’s largest auditorium, where more than 240 students were honored for academic excellence. The African American Learning Resource Center sponsored the 20th annual program.
Sue Hancock, director of the center, made opening comments. Hancock highlighted the record number of African-American students and graduates with high grades.
This year’s ceremony recognized 138 academic achievers compared with 97 achievers in 1997.
Robert Jones, vice provost for faculty and academic personnel, delivered words of thanks and congratulations to the honorees. Jones encouraged the students to appreciate the full weight of the their accomplishments.
“You are probably the first to graduate in your family,” Jones said.
He also praised them for enduring financial hardships and all the aches and pains associated with attending college. Students and families chuckled and nodded their heads throughout the course of his remarks.
Caroline Long, a sophomore in the College of Liberal Arts, served as an usher and received recognition as an academic achiever.
She likened Wednesday’s ceremony to a letter she received from residents in north Minneapolis after her graduation from North High School.
“It’s very important to be recognized by peers and your cultural community,” Long said.
Amy Freeman, a College of Human Ecology senior, said the ceremony did not focus solely on students with stellar grade point averages. Students that have significantly improved their academic record were also honored.
“It’s a celebration of achievement on all levels,” said Freeman, who was one of the graduates honored at the event.
Freeman said the ceremony veered away from traditional academic awards gatherings. Besides handing out student awards, the program incorporated a high-tempo, cultural dance performed by members of the Ethiopian Student Association.
Local actress and story-teller Rose McGee, enticed the ceremony’s attendees with a dramatic presentation entitled “The People Could Fly.”
A collective celebration open to the entire University community was the intention, said Tony Diggs, a senior counselor for the resource center.
“We want to pay tribute to our ancestral past, and hopefully continue to inspire and empower all students,” said Diggs, who spearheaded efforts to coordinate Wednesday’s affair.