Recruit Howe looks at U for men’s hockey

St. Cloud’s Mike Howe, one of the state’s top high school hockey players, has narrowed his college choice to three schools – including the Gophers – and will make a decision within the next month.

The senior is currently playing for the River City (formerly Omaha) Lancers of the USHL and has Minnesota, St. Cloud State, and Notre Dame on his short list. He will begin competing in 2004.

“I don’t have any favorites,” the 5-foot-11, 175-pound forward said. “I want to see all the schools and then weigh the pro’s and con’s before I make a decision.”

After last weekend’s visit to South Bend, Howe plans to visit Minneapolis and his hometown by the end of September before making a college decision.

A decision might be influenced by his uncle, who is an assistant hockey coach for the Irish. However, connections within the state are important to him.

Howe recently eliminated Colorado College from his list, citing lack of solid contact with Scott Owens’ staff.

NCAA rules prohibit Gophers coach Don Lucia from talking about recruits. Howe would be the third recruit to verbally commit to the program for the 2004 season, following forwards Brent Borgen and Ben Gordon.

The right handed shooter tallied 35 goals and 61 points last season for St. Cloud Apollo.

Smieja walks-on

the Gophers have added a walk-on goaltender to the roster for the upcoming season.

Freshman Dustin Smieja, who backstopped the St. Paul Johnson Governors in high school, must compete with sophomores Justin Johnson and Travis Weber for playing time.

Volunteer goaltending coach Robb Stauber coached the 6-foot-3 native of St. Paul at one of his summer camps and told him to contact the men’s hockey program.

“He pays attention to the details,” Stauber said. “I don’t know what to expect from him. Hopefully, he will be a pleasant surprise.”

NCAA rules do not allow Lucia to evaluate Smieja until practice begins Sept. 28. No more walk-ons are expected to join the team before it takes the ice Oct. 12.