Patio ordinance postponed

John Hageman

The Minneapolis City Council won’t be voting on a controversial ordinance amendment, after all.

The amendments, proposed by Ward 10 Councilwoman Meg Tuthill, would have require bar and restaurant owners to set a capacity limit on their outdoor patios. Amplified noise on patios would have also been cut off at 10 p.m.

Downtown would be excluded from the ordinance.

Tuthill told the Southwest Journal Thursday she will seek more input from business owners before bringing the ordinance back to the council.

The proposal first prompted outrage when it was introduced in March. Tuthill withdrew the proposal for further review, but not due to the negative reaction, she said.

When it resurfaced relatively intact last week, the proposal brought dozens of angry bar and restaurant owners to a public hearing. While most testified against the ordinance, some residents were supportive of Tuthill’s efforts to quiet their neighborhoods.

Tuthill told the Daily before the June 6 meeting that she felt “the votes are there” to pass the amendments. The city council was set to vote on it at its regular meeting Friday.