Rock the Garden’s best dressed

(left to right) Stu Rosenberg, Olivia Hanson, Joey Dokken and Sarah Olfelt.

Rock the Garden isn’t known for its style. In years past, baggy shorts and flip-flops were the norm, and comfort trumped any desire to see and be seen at Minneapolis’ quintessential all-day party. This year, however, attendees stepped up their style game several notches. While strong sartorial showings abounded, these four festivalgoers’ outfits stood head and shoulders above the rest of the crowd.

Stu Rosenberg
20, business student at the University of Minnesota

What he wore:

H&M shirt and shorts, Adidas Stan Smith shoes, Warby Parker glasses, Vacheron Constantin watch.

Adidas Stan Smiths are the go-to sneaker for both men and women this summer thanks to their subtle two-toned sleekness and timeless white leather silhouette.

Rosenberg’s Stan Smiths have a bit of patina, yet look better for wear when paired with a slim-fit floral print button-down shirt and shorts. Men take note: This is how your shorts should fit, slim and an inch or two above the knee.

Olivia Hanson
19, political science student at the University of Minnesota

What she wore: Forever 21 dress and hat, Target sandals.

While wide-brimmed hats and patterned dresses are classic music festival garb, Hanson flips the script by opting for a floppy hat and a neutral feather patterned dress that bucks the straight black and Native American print trends that are overplayed at this point. On most dresses, feathers would look busy, but on Hanson’s they tie together a minimalist look, proving that patterns are best when they’re subtle and refined, rather than gauche and gaudy. 

Joey Dokken
20, art student at University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point

What he wore: Gap button-down, American Eagle chinos, Sperry boat shoes, grandpa’s glasses.

None of the individual pieces in Dokken’s ensemble scream fashionable, and his style risks came close to backfiring. However, his outfit works and is proof that style isn’t always about what you wear, but how you wear it. Most people couldn’t wear an undersized Gap button down from the early aughts without a tinge of irony, much less with the top button buttoned and the bottom two buttons exposing a black T-shirt that clashes with Dokken’s cuffed red chinos. Thanks to his artist eye,

Dokken executes what most of us shouldn’t try at home, merging subversive prepster style with the color scheme of the Chicago Bulls. Bonus points for choosing a vintage glasses frame that fits his face shape; Dokken’s grandpa’s specs tie together the outfit.

Sarah Olfelt
18, incoming retail merchandising student at the University of Minnesota

What she wore: H&M dress and sunglasses, Forever 21 shoes, thrifted purse.

Olfelt’s on-point outfit is proof you don’t need a million bucks to look good. Her dress is understated yet trendy, formfitting yet loose and breathable. Hailing from H&M, it also probably cost less than a pizza at Punch. The underrated tan hue is a nice break from the constant black-on-black outfits spotted at countless music festivals across the country, and the droopy aviator sunglasses lend a sensual, ’70s mystique to Olfelt’s otherwise playful, flirty look.