Students talk winter fashion

UMN students explain how they manage to stay warm in the winter while still wearing all the clothes they enjoy.
Image by Eleanor King
Students walking on the mall on Nov. 21.

During the winter in Minnesota, the main focus is staying warm, but some people do not want to sacrifice their style.

Students at the University of Minnesota talk about their fashion choices going into the winter months.

Lauren Hiedeman, a fourth-year student at the University of Minnesota, said trying to stay warm while showing off her personal style reminds her of when she had to wear a coat over her Halloween costume when she was younger.

Now that Hiedeman is older, she has found different ways to dress while staying warm. Like most people in cold climates, layering is a winter fashion staple for Hiedeman. She enjoys wearing black tights with dresses made out of thicker materials.

Reagan Carpenter, a third-year student at the University and a DJ at RadioK, shared a similar experience and said having to layer her costumes as a kid took some of the joy out of Halloween.

Delila Yang, another University student, sometimes finds it difficult to create outfits in the winter. Yang enjoys dressing for summer because the clothing commonly worn during that time better fits her style.

“I think it’s pretty easy for me to throw outfit ideas together for summer because it’s either like you just wear a really short sleeve or like a mini skirt or just some shorts,” Yang said.

In the winter, especially in Minnesota, there is the added layer of trying to stay warm.

Carpenter learned how to layer during her time camping in northern Minnesota. She suggests wearing a base layer of long underwear to stay warm all day and then adding other clothing items and accessories from there.

Hiedeman focuses more on jewelry when it comes to accessories in the colder months. When it comes to accessories that are both fashionable and keep her warm, she enjoys scarves. A trick that she saw on TikTok showed her how to wrap an infinity scarf in a way that it can be worn as a hood and does not mess up her hair as much.

Earmuffs are also a good option for people who do not want to wear hats in the winter. Carpenter has a pair of AirPods Max headphones she can put fluffy covers on that will keep her ears warm while still being able to listen to music.

Accessorizing isn’t the only way that someone can show their style in the winter. Yang does not accessorize in the winter as much as she does in the summer, but she tries to wear more colors and patterns to stand out against the gray winter sky.

Everyone has style priorities regarding how they dress, but there are still ways to stay warm without sacrificing personal style.

“You deserve to wear all [the] clothes that you have and all the clothes that you like,” Carpenter said.

Most styles of clothing can be worn several different ways throughout the year, so even if someone is more of a summer person, they can keep up their personal style throughout the colder months.

View Comments (1)