University Prof…

University Professor of Chemistry Albert Moscowitz died Wednesday morning of cancer.
Moscowitz, 67, taught in the University’s chemistry department for 36 years. He completed his undergraduate studies at the City College of New York and obtained his doctorate in chemistry from Harvard University in 1957. He joined the University of Minnesota chemistry faculty in 1959.
His principal research area throughout his career was the interaction of polarized light with nonsymmetrical molecules. He is credited with forming several theories on the subject.
Moscowitz also worked on many collaborations with colleagues, concentrating on biomedical topics. He received national attention for a project on the structure of bile pigments, a cooperative work with the late professor Cecil J. Watson of the University’s Medical School.
Moscowitz was internationally known for his work on the molecular spectra. He received numerous national and international awards from his colleagues.
John Dahler, a professor in the Department of Chemical Engineering and Material Sciences at the University and a close friend and colleague of Moscowitz, said that Moscowitz was very dedicated to his work.
“He loved his job,” Dahler said. “Even though he was ill for quite some time, he still came in to work every day, right up until the very end.”
Colleagues said Moscowitz will be remembered most as a well-respected professor and friend.
He is survived by his sister Yetta Roth, of Beechhurst, N.Y.; his nephews Robert Roth, of Newtonville, Mass. and Arthur Roth, of Skokie, Ill.; and his cousin Dr. William Kavesh, of Philadelphia, Pa.
A memorial service will be held at 1 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 2 at the Frederick R. Weisman Art Museum. Memorial donations can be sent to Dr. Martin Oken of the Myeloma Research fund at the Virginia Piper Cancer Institute, the American Jewish Committee or the Midwest Community Hospice.