Ultimate Frisbee one of many growing intramurals

University supply management sophomore Nick Caretta plays Frisbee on Tuesday at the West Bank Fields. Caretta is involved in both intramural soccer and ultimate Frisbee.
Image by Tara Sloane

Mike Bruce is a busy guy. Along with a full-time course schedule, the sophomore accounting major is involved in three intramural sports âÄî indoor soccer, ultimate Frisbee, and flag football. As fall intramural sports begin this week and next, students and staff have noticed an increase in nearly every program offered. Last yearâÄôs figures were close to 5,400 participants, Intramural Coordinator Matt Johnson said. âÄúI donâÄôt see our numbers falling short of that this year,âÄù Johnson said. Bruce said his favorite thing about intramural sports is that he can still be competitive without the pressure from âÄúcrazy coaches.âÄù Nick Caretta , BruceâÄôs teammate on both the Frisbee and soccer teams, said he ranks âÄúchoosing your own teamsâÄù as one of his favorite attributes of intramurals. âÄúYou can play with your friends and it doesnâÄôt matter how good you are,âÄù Caretta said. Ultimate Frisbee, Johnson said, is âÄúboomingâÄù right now. âÄúWe currently have 16 teams, and a waitlist of more than a dozen,âÄù Johnson said. âÄúItâÄôs getting bigger every year. Right now we have more than 400 players.âÄù Kellin Krick , a biomedical engineering student, and Andy Wellens, who studies electrical engineering, have both been involved in ultimate Frisbee for the past five semesters. Their team, dubbed United Nations, is a conglomeration of old high school friends and new college ones, Wellens said. âÄúWe all played sports in high school and didnâÄôt want to give that up once we got to college,âÄù he said. Krick said while itâÄôs hard sometimes to balance everyoneâÄôs busy schedules, ultimate Frisbee offers âÄúa chance to have fun with friends, without such a big commitment.âÄù Johnson mentioned that other popular sports include basketball, with 170 players, broomball with more than 1,000, and flag football bringing in the most participants, currently with 109 teams. Sarah Nelson , a sophomore biology student, is competing in her second semester of outdoor soccer and said she hopes this semester will be a bit more successful than last yearâÄôs. âÄúWe played in the open league last year and got killed by teams of all guys,âÄù Nelson said. âÄúThis semester weâÄôre doing co-rec where you have to have 3 girls and 3 boys on the field at one time.âÄù Nelson said sheâÄôs been playing soccer her entire life, and couldnâÄôt see herself giving it up once she started college. Johnson said outdoor soccer has always drawn a lot of participants. The three soccer fields in St. Paul help to accommodate 930 outdoor soccer participants, but Johnson said they are âÄúfull to the gills.âÄù âÄúWe literally donâÄôt have the space for any more teams,âÄù he said.