Case had a rough history

Jim Martyka

Almost one year to the day after the fatal shooting of University student Kami Talley, the trial and everything involved with the case is done — for now.
Louis Cardona “Butch” Buggs is about to begin a life sentence without parole for shooting Talley at her workplace in Northeast Minneapolis last Valentine’s Day.
But the history of their relationship and the entire case dates back to their high school days, when Buggs and Talley first started dating.
Shortly into what became an almost four-year relationship, the couple’s child, Ambreen Talley, was born Nov. 6, 1991.
They acquired a house through Habitat for Humanity and began to make plans for a future together, which halted when Talley moved out in early 1995 and the couple broke up.
Buggs later admitted to beating Talley in August of 1995 at her grandmother’s house, where she lived. He was arrested and spent three months in jail before being freed on work release in November 1995. He was told not to contact Talley.
But both Buggs and Talley violated this ruling because Buggs constantly asked to see his daughter, and sometimes Talley obliged. Through meetings and phone conversations, the two stayed in touch.
Throughout Buggs’ murder trial Talley’s family and friends testified that Talley told them several of the couple’s conversations were threatening. Buggs denied ever threatening Talley.
She was murdered while working at Electric Wire Products on February 14, 1996. Talley was shot eight times and died at approximately 11 a.m. A Minneapolis police sergeant who tended to Talley testified that after asking her who had shot her, Talley replied “Butch” and then “Buggs.”
Police immediately began a search for Buggs, which lasted more than two months.
Buggs, who said he was traveling to Texas with friends at the time of the shooting, testified that he never shot Talley. He said he heard he was wanted and decided not to return to Minnesota. Instead, he spent time in Mexico before going to Alexandria, Va. to live with his sister, Lori Buggs.
He was arrested by FBI officials April 20 outside his sister’s house and was taken to an Alexandria jail.
In Minneapolis, Ambreen Talley received Kami’s degree from the College of Liberal Arts at graduation ceremonies June 9.
In July, Buggs was extradited to Minneapolis from Alexandria. On Aug. 7, Buggs was indicted for first-degree murder.
In the meantime, Reginald Hammond, a friend of Buggs who was accused of aiding him by sending him money while he was on the run, had his charges dismissed because the judge ruled that Hammond didn’t know he was aiding a wanted man.
Buggs’ murder trial began Jan. 8 with Judge Peter H. Albrecht presiding. After several days of preliminary motions and an extended jury selection, lawyers made their opening arguments Jan 28.
After two weeks of testimony in which Talley’s mother, Buggs’ sister, as well as several other witnesses, including Buggs himself all took the stand, the jury found Buggs guilty of murder.
Although it would appear that this case has come to a conclusion, the story may not yet be finished.
After his conviction, Buggs declared he would appeal the decision.
— Staff Reporter Andrew Tellijohn contributed to this report.