Man charged with assault in Moos Tower stabbing

Joanna Dornfeld

A 46-year-old Minneapolis man was charged with second-degree assault Friday after allegedly stabbing another man Feb. 6 in front of Moos Tower.

According to the criminal complaint:

University police Sgt. Erik Swanson saw an argument at approximately 8:30 p.m. between Edward Allen Thomas, the man charged, and several other individuals.

One of the men said he had been assaulted with a knife. The man was bleeding from a cut on his neck. The victim identified Thomas as the man who cut him.

A University police officer noticed blood on Thomas’ jacket and found a knife when doing a pat search.

Police brought Thomas in for questioning. Thomas said the victim was harassing him and another person while riding a Metro Transit bus, and the victim punched him in the face. Thomas said he then pulled a knife from his pocket and struck the victim’s head with it.

Thomas remains in custody at Hennepin County Jail. His bail has been set at $40,000.

In other police news:

Two Minneapolis women reported a suspicious person near their apartment located on the 800 block of 13th Avenue Southeast in the early morning of Feb. 6. According to the police report:

The women – who are in their early 20s – told police an unknown male ejaculated on the outside of their window. The women live in a ground floor apartment.

This is the second such incident at this location.

The women could not describe the man, but said they believed he walked north from their building.

A Minneapolis canine unit attempted to track the man but made no arrest.


A 25-year-old St. Paul man was arrested Feb. 7 after allegedly fleeing police in his car and driving into a garage and light pole.

On a routine check, a University police officer found the owner of the vehicle – Willie Dwight Hunter – had a revoked driver’s license, according to the police report.

Hunter allegedly fled when police attempted to pull his vehicle over. Police caught up to him after a lengthy pursuit, according to the police report.

Hunter remains in custody at Hennepin County Jail. His bail was set at $5,000.

Joanna Dornfeld welcomes comments at [email protected]