Dancers double up with fraternity to farm funds for spring showdown

Tonight Kappa Sigma will host a dance party with a $5 cover. The proceeds help the spring dance show.

Combining her sorority fundraising skills with a passion for dance, Brittany Radke is bringing together dance students and the greek system for the first time.

Radke, a senior dance major, said she came up with the idea because of an assignment for her dance production class. The class organizes the dance department’s spring show, “Catalyst,” taking charge of all administrative, marketing and technical concerns.

As part of the administrative team, Radke said, she and a few other women involved in the greek system decided that pairing the fundraiser with a fraternity dance party would get a larger turnout than just fundraising through sales.

“It’s just a really good learning opportunity for us,” said Radke, who hopes to start her own dance company someday.

Radke said this is the first time the class ever has asked anyone outside of the arts community for help.

“All of us are used to doing philanthropy through the greek system, so we were already aware of how that part worked.”

The fundraiser, Dance Till Dawn, will feature a deejay with an admission fee of $5. Fraternity Kappa Sigma will host the party at its house from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. Thursday.

Kappa Sigma president Nate Russart, a fisheries and wildlife junior, said the event was an easy way to bring together different parts of the community.

“It helps build relationships throughout the community and I’d like to do more of it in the future,” he said.

The fundraiser also is receiving help from the Student Dance Coalition, a student group that acts as a liaison between students and faculty in the dance department.

Anat Shinar, vice president of the Student Dance Coalition, said this fundraiser will be on a bigger scale than past events, which have included selling T-shirts and kneepads and doing bake sales. She said the group needs to raise about $3,000 to fund the spring show.

The dance coalitio also is selling 2006 calendars ‘ available at the Barker Center for Dance ‘ to raise money for the show.

Tonight’s event will not feature any performances, Radke said, and there’s no reason for students to be intimidated about dancing with a group of dance majors.

Ned Sturgis, president of the Student Dance Coalition, said he thinks the event will draw more students because fraternities are recognized across campus.

“We really want to encourage students from all across the campus to get involved,” he said.