Threat of rain cancels bonfire

The Homecoming Committee moved the pepfest and concert indoors.

Today’s homecoming bonfire has been canceled and the pepfest has been moved indoors to the Coffman Union Great Hall because of a poor weather forecast, organizers said.

The events were rescheduled because today’s forecast calls for rain and the possibility of strong thunderstorms later in the day. Events will begin at 5 p.m. with the homecoming cheer competition.

“We made the decision early on because there’s so much to set up,” Homecoming Committee member Abby Johnston said.

The decision was made Thursday morning in time to set up the Coffman Union Great Hall for Thursday night’s Panoramic Blue concert, which was also originally scheduled to be outdoors, said Jess Mann, a co-coordinator for the Homecoming Committee.

Mann said student reaction has been positive so far.

“They said they would rather be indoors for the events than being misted or rained on,” she said.

Johnston said the decision is final because the committee has contacted nearly everybody involved, including the fire department. The committee worked all day to inform students of the change by posting fliers around campus, she said.

Still, some students said they hadn’t heard of the change.

“There’s word out about the bonfire and pepfest, but not a lot,” sophomore Alissa Block said.

Mann said the only major setback was canceling the actual bonfire.

“It’s kinda disappointing with all the work we did to move it to the East Bank,” she said. “But there’s not much you can do with the weather.”

The homecoming pepfest will begin at 6:30 p.m. in the Coffman Union Great Hall. The concert, featuring Bottle of Justus, will begin at 8:30 p.m.

“I was looking forward to the bonfire, but if it’s going to be rainy and cold, it wouldn’t be worth it,” nutrition sophomore Katie Osdoba said.

– Naomi Scott contributed to this report.