Marcy-Holmes serial rapist sketches released

Minneapolis Police Department is requesting the public’s help in finding the man believed to be responsible for various attacks over the past several years.

Courtesy of Libor Jany

Courtesy of Libor Jany

Courtesy of Libor Jany

J.D. Duggan

Minneapolis Police Department released three sketches of the suspect it believes is responsible for multiple sexual assaults and attempted sexual assaults in Marcy-Holmes in recent years.

The suspect is a white male, 30-50 years old, approximately 5 foot 7 inches to 6 feet tall, with a medium to athletic build, said Minneapolis Deputy Chief of Investigations Erick Fors at a press conference Wednesday. The suspect is likely targeting women, Fors said.

“We believe this individual has familiarity with the area based on our investigation,” Fors said at the press conference. “We would like people to call 911 on individuals seen out of place or loitering around parking lots, dumpsters or alleyways, particularly in the Marcy-Holmes and Dinkytown neighborhoods.”

Fors noted an “abrupt” change in appearance between two descriptions given just weeks apart. The suspect may now have facial hair, Fors said.

“Someone who looks at these sketches may recognize this person. Someone may recognize the abrupt change in appearance, and we are asking for the public’s help in identifying this individual,” Fors said at the press conference.

MPD is conducting ongoing investigations and will increase patrols in the area. The department is working with the University of Minnesota Police Department, Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, Federal Bureau of Investigations and other local law enforcement agencies. 

Specific cases were not mentioned at the press conference, but a number of recent incidents have occurred in Marcy-Holmes. The suspect has been linked several years worth of crimes, Fors said.

An attempted abduction happened on March 1 near the 700 block of 8th Avenue Southeast. The suspect at that time was described as a 5’7″ bald male, about 40 years old.

A similar incident of attempted kidnapping occurred Feb. 18 at 6th Street Southeast and 10th Avenue Southeast.

Another attempted abduction took place in September at 4th Avenue Southeast and 6th Street Southeast while a University of Minnesota student was taking out her trash.

An attempted sexual assault and attempted kidnapping occurred February of last year in the same area.

This is a breaking news report. More information will be added as it becomes available.