Two state-funded art projects in the works

Projects will join large collection of public art on campus.

Seven months after revealing the design for his artwork that will hang on the outside of Target Field , local artist and University of Minnesota alumnus Craig David is hard at work on a piece that will adorn the Universityâ脛么s West Bank campus. â脛煤Itâ脛么s great to be doing a piece of art for my alma mater,â脛霉 he said. â脛煤I feel extremely blessed.â脛霉 His is one of two works under construction that will be funded by a 25-year-old piece of legislation, the State of Minnesota Percent for Art in Public Places , which allows for up to 1 percent of the construction budget of a state-funded building to go toward art. Despite cuts in nearly every other realm of the University, the program has remained unaffected. Davidâ脛么s piece, the Ribs of Humanity, is a set of six 15-foot-tall stone figures that will be placed around a stone fire in Hanson Hall â脛貌s Campbell Garden in May 2010. The piece is costing the University $75,000, money that came from Hanson Hallâ脛么s construction budget. â脛煤I think itâ脛么s symbolic of the people in business,â脛霉 David said of the piece, which will be located near the Carlson School of Management . â脛煤We love creating things; we love making things and giving service to people â脛卯 and so the fire is about that inner drive.â脛霉 Across the river, a $350,000 piece of art will go into the Science Teaching and Student Services Center , formerly the Science Classroom Building , in July 2010 shortly before the building opens. Alexander Tylevich , the artist constructing the 80-foot-tall installation, said it will go inside the building and will span from the skylight at the top, down to the first floor. â脛煤Itâ脛么s a lot of work ahead,â脛霉 Tylevich said of the piece, adding that right now, itâ脛么s merely a pile of supplies. The piece, which costs less than 1 percent of the buildingâ脛么s $72.5 million budget, will be made of light-reflecting glass and stainless steel cables in the shape of a giant spiral. Capital Planning and Project Management director Orlyn Miller said the University voluntarily participates in the program. Whenever they send a public building budget to the state Legislature, it automatically allocates 1 percent to art. A change in that policy is unlikely and would require agreement among the Universityâ脛么s vice presidents, the provost and the Board of Regents . â脛煤All of those are strongly supportive of the program,â脛霉 he said. â脛煤Itâ脛么s not taken lightly that we reduce it.â脛霉 Since its conception in 1984, the program has funded 30 pieces of art on campus, including Platonic Figure in 2001, the large stainless steel and limestone statue outside of the Mechanical Engineering building and The Crucible in 1995, a cast bronze and stainless steel half-globe near Amundson Hall . In total, there are 40 pieces of public art on campus, some of which came long before the program. Over the years, the art thatâ脛么s accumulated on campus has contributed to the experience students and visitors have here, Craig Amundsen , curator for the program, said. â脛煤Public art is put in places on campus that you come in contact with in your everyday circulation and use of the campus,â脛霉 he said. â脛煤So in that sense, public art really has a pretty big impact on people.â脛霉 Chief Financial Officer Richard Pfutzenreuter said the University is committed to continuing the program, and that the state bonding dollars used in construction canâ脛么t be put toward a different use anyway. â脛煤It isnâ脛么t the case that you could in all instances not do the public art and somehow pay for a scholarship or somehow pay for a faculty member or somehow meet another expense,â脛霉 he said. â脛煤Theyâ脛么re different forms of money, by and large.â脛霉 If the University chose not to use 1 percent of a buildingâ脛么s budget on art, that money would still need to go toward construction of the building, he said. â脛煤You could choose to not do the art and buy more bricks and mortar in the building; thatâ脛么s for sure,â脛霉 he said, â脛煤but you couldnâ脛么t take it and spend it on something not project-related.â脛霉 Having originally gone to school to be a painter, David said itâ脛么s too hard to sell art to individual clients knowing it wonâ脛么t be seen by the public. He said he prefers creating public art because itâ脛么s able to contribute to community building. â脛煤In my mind, everyone who views it owns it,â脛霉 he said. â脛煤Thatâ脛么s wonderful. It really gives me a great feeling.â脛霉