Gophers win eighth straight at home

Womens Hockey vs. Harvard
Image by Tara Sloane
Women’s Hockey vs. Harvard

In its last home series of the semester, the No. 2 Minnesota womenâÄôs hockey team improved to 8-1-0 at home with a sweep against Harvard this weekend. They won 3-1 Friday night and 3-2 Saturday over the ninth-ranked Crimson. The Gophers didnâÄôt have trouble finding their feet Friday night as first-year Monique Lamoureux scored 32 seconds into the game. Yet, the next goal wasnâÄôt scored for 45 minutes when junior Kelli Blankenship scored what became the game-winning goal. First-year Alyssa Grogan started in net and faced 19 shots . She has been solid in net for Minnesota, allowing eight goals in eight games posting a 6-0-1 overall record. She leads Minnesota goaltenders with a 0.947 save percentage, the second best mark in the WCHA. SaturdayâÄôs starting goaltender, sophomore Jenny Lura , isnâÄôt far behind, though, with a 7-1-0 record and 0.918 save percentage. Even though coach Brad Frost mixed up the lines, he put the former top line âÄî senior captain Gigi Marvin, junior Brittany Francis and sophomore Emily West âÄî on the ice together for the power play. The three proved to still have a connection as Francis scored the first goal of the game . On Saturday, after Harvard scored a shorthanded goal to tie things up 1-1 , senior Rachael Drazan scored her second goal of the season, assisted by West and Lura. It was LuraâÄôs first career assist, and she is the only goaltender on MinnesotaâÄôs roster to notch a point. Lura said she had no idea she received an assist until they announced it. Seven minutes later Drazan was called for a checking-from-behind penalty that resulted in a game misconduct. With a five-on-three advantage, the Crimson tied the game after a screened shot got past Lura, who didnâÄôt have her stick. With the game tied at 2-2, junior Michelle Maunu rifled a shot from the point and sophomore Jen Schoullis redirected the puck with her stick. The referees reviewed the goal and ruled that it wasnâÄôt high sticking, giving Minnesota a 3-2 lead with five minutes left. âÄúWe were all just praying, standing there against the bench. âÄòPlease be a goal. Please be a goal,âÄô âÄú Schoullis said. âÄúIt worked out.âÄù Marvin took a holding penalty with a minute left, but the Gophers were able to kill it off and win the game. Frost said he told his team the winning team would have the most character and heart. âÄúI thought our kids showed a ton of [heart] in the third,âÄù Frost said. âÄúDid we play a perfect hockey game? No. Not by any means. We had a little lull in the latter half of the second period, but I thought they responded really, really well and came out with a big win.âÄù