J Robinson publicly reprimanded by Big Ten conference

Robinson said after Minnesota’s Feb. 13 tie with Penn State that Nittany Lions 149-pounder Frank Molinaro faked an injury.
Image by Joe Michaud-Scorza, Daily File Photo

The Big Ten Conference issued a public reprimand Tuesday of Gophers head wrestling coach J Robinson for âÄúviolating the Big Ten Sportslike Conduct Agreement following MinnesotaâÄôs dual match against Penn State on Feb. 13.âÄù

Assistant commissioner Scott Chipman issued a release that said some of RobinsonâÄôs post-match comments were in violation of the Agreement, presumably those from a Q&A with Robinson posted by the Daily Collegian âÄî Penn StateâÄôs student newspaper âÄî following an 18-18 tie in which Robinson said:

âÄúTheyâÄôre good. They wrestle hard. They came to compete. I was disappointed in the coaching staff. They let one of their kids, Molinaro, take a timeout when he wasnâÄôt hurt. ItâÄôs not okay to break the rules. The kid wasnâÄôt hurt. He knows he wasnâÄôt hurt and the coaches know he wasnâÄôt hurt and they allowed it anyway. ItâÄôs outside the integrity of the sport. He just got tired. He wasnâÄôt hurt. He just wound his clock, took a timeout and the coaches just went along with it instead of keeping him out there and letting him deal with it.” 

Robinson was referring to Penn StateâÄôs Frank Molinaro (149-pounds), who took injury time during his match with Danny Zilverberg on his way to an eventual 6-5 win. The Nittany LionsâÄô coaches and medical staff came out to check on Molinaro, but gave him no actual treatment.

Robinson told The Minnesota Daily after the dual: âÄúThe difference in the dual meet came down to one school allowing their guy to take a timeout when their guy wasnâÄôt hurt. ThatâÄôs what it was. Their guy wasnâÄôt hurt and the coaching staff allowed him to take a timeout. I think thereâÄôs an integrity issue there.âÄù