Stereo equipment stolen from vehicles parked in Wildcat Lot

University police officers spent part of their Friday afternoon contacting some students parked in the Wildcat Lot at 420 25th Ave. S.E. to tell them their vehicles had been burglarized.

An unknown suspect or suspects broke into 10 vehicles and stole stereo equipment from nine of them, according to the police reports.

At least $5,000 worth of stereo equipment was stolen. Two vehicles reported $700 worth of damage, according to the reports.

University biology freshman Morgan Krieg’s Chevrolet Blazer was broken into on Wednesday or Thursday. She said she has parked her vehicle there all semester without incident and hadn’t thought about the possibility of damage.

“I thought security cameras or something would kind of protect it, but I guess not,” she said.

Krieg said she had not driven her vehicle in about a week before police contacted her.

Krieg’s $300 compact disc player was stolen. The perpetrator or perpetrators broke her small rear passenger window to enter the vehicle, according to the report.

She said she will continue to park in Wildcat Lot but will purchase a less expensive CD player next time.

College of Liberal Arts freshman Tyler Jensen’s $230 CD player and radio were stolen from his Pontiac Grand Am between May 1 and Saturday in the Wildcat Lot, according to the report.

Jensen said he will continue to park his Grand Am there despite the loss.

“I’d park it there, but if you have a removable face, I’d take that off,” he said.

In other police news:

ï Journalism senior Emily Killoren was one of seven people last week who reported their bicycles had been stolen, according to police reports.

Killoren parked her bicycle between Murphy and Ford halls Thursday, like she did every day, at 4 p.m. When she returned at 8 p.m. her bicycle was gone, she said.

Her bicycle was locked with a three-foot cable lock that would be difficult to cut, she said.

“If you had a hedge cutter, you could cut it off,” Killoren said.

Killoren said she was nervous about her bicycle being stolen when she first bought it four years ago but had not thought about it in quite a while.

Killoren said the police told her it is highly unlikely they will find her bicycle because it is probably not on campus.

CLA freshman Malai Turnbull also reported to police his bicycle was stolen last week. His bicycle was stolen between March 7 and March 9 from a bicycle rack in front of Sanford Hall, but he did not report the incident to police immediately because he did not have the serial number with him at school, he said.

“I’d like another bike, but I’ll get a piece of junk bike from Goodwill or something,” he said.

ï An unknown suspect robbed a 20-year-old University student Sunday near the corner of 11th Avenue Southeast and Fourth Street Southeast, according to the police report.

The suspect pushed her to the ground and stole her wallet from her purse. The suspect then fled on foot, according to the report.

ï University police arrested a 54-year-old Michigan man Saturday
for indecent exposure at
Fairview-University Medical Center at 500 Harvard St. S.E., according to the police report.

The man was booked at Hennepin County Jail. He is no longer in custody.

Joanna Dornfeld welcomes comments at [email protected]