Gophers barely edged by No. 2 Stanford

The women’s team earned its sixth consecutive victory against Nebraska.
Freshman Justin Karstadt competes on the parallel bars at the Sports Pavilion on Saturday night, where the Gophers came in 2nd out of six competing teams.
Image by Maddy Fox
The Gophers women’s gymnastics team set a season-high in points but nearly saw their winning streak snap.

Minnesota defeated No. 14 Nebraska 196.300-196.100 in Lincoln, Neb., on Friday, giving the team its sixth consecutive victory.

Senior Lindsay Mable won the all-around for the third meet in a row with a score of 39.525.

“The team was great tonight,” head coach Jenny Hansen said in an email statement. “We hit 24 for 24 routines and were much better on our landings throughout the meet.”

Mable and junior Bailie Holst tied for first during the Gophers’ first rotation of the night, each scoring a 9.875 on bars. On the next rotation on vault, juniors Rachel Haines and Bailey Abernathy tied for second with scores of 9.850.

Mable scored 9.925 to come in second on floor, but Nebraska outscored the Gophers 49.375-49.200 on the event. Minnesota outscored Nebraska on the other three events.

The Gophers finished the meet on the beam, with Mable tying for first with a 9.900 and DeMuse taking fourth with a 9.800.

Men snap victory streak

Tristan Duran’s record-breaking performance on the parallel bars wasn’t enough to keep the Gophers’ winning streak alive.

The sophomore broke the program record in the event with a 15.600 to take first, but the Gophers came in second in a six-team meet on Saturday.

No. 2 Stanford edged No. 3 Minnesota 432.800-432.650 at the Sports 

Pavilion, but the Gophers scored higher than Illinois, the Canadian National Team, Iowa and Minnesota’s club team.

The Gophers last rotation was on the pommel horse, and the team’s score of 69.100 was its lowest event score of the night.

Freshman Justin Karstadt had the team’s highest score on the event with a 15.050 and tied for first in the all-around with an 84.750.

Sophomore Yaroslav Pochinka won the team’s last event title with a 15.250 on his vault. Junior Zach Liebler tied for third in the event with a 15.050 and took second on the floor with a 15.150.

Senior Paul Montague Jr. also took second on the still rings with a 14.850.