6:18 p.m. Eric, a student, expertly improvises an ethereal, jazzy melody on the public piano in Coffman Union.
2024 Day in the Life: April 18

Move-in day wraps up with minor mishaps, plenty of help

Struggling to walk down the sidewalk in front of Centennial Hall on Saturday morning, a student carefully balanced his computer monitor on top of a pile of clothes in a large blue cart.

Suddenly, the cart’s left wheel hit a large crack in the sidewalk, throwing it sideways and spilling its contents into the street.

Looking slightly bewildered, the student looked to his laughing friend.

“Dude, that sucks,” the friend said.

Despite small mishaps, parents, students and volunteers said University residence hall move-in day went smoothly.

Within seconds, four volunteers in bright yellow shirts ran to the scene of the spill as the two students started to pick up lamp shades and scattered clothes.

“Is anything broken?” one volunteer asked.

“Hold on, we’ll help,” another said.

One volunteer picked up the unharmed computer monitor while others put the cart back on its wheels.

“All the help is excellent,” said Robin Hagan of Illinois.

Hagan was moving her daughter, Holly, into Frontier Hall. She said volunteers directed her to a parking spot and helped unload their vehicle.

More than 300 student, staff and faculty volunteers helped the approximately 6,000 students move into University residence halls, according to Housing and Residential Life.

Bob Hagan, Robin’s husband, said the cool weather also made move-in easier.

Maren McMartin, a history sophomore and move-in volunteer, said students seemed fairly relaxed about moving in.

However, she said they all asked similar questions, looking for elevators and check-in stations.

Late in the morning, many residents were already settling in, bringing in smaller items.

One female student lugged her skateboard under one arm and clothes under the other while her dad followed with a small fish bowl.

Valerie Tukey, a first-year General College student from California, said things had calmed down since the chaotic morning.

“I’m excited to start fresh,” she said.

Nathan Giguere, a first-year student studying environmental horticulture, set up his computer while his new neighbors popped in to say hi.

Giguere said he is not worried about the transition to college life.

“I’m just really excited,” he said.

The excitement, however, seemed to get the best of some. One well-meaning parent fell asleep on her son’s bed while he set up his computer. Another student sprawled on her futon and read a book.

“I just need a break, you know?” she told her roommate.