Women’s team takes 16th at NCAA Championships

Sophomore Brooke Zeiger finished in the top 15 in three different events.
Gophers sophomore Brooke Zeiger competes in the womens 400 individual medley finals in the Jean K. Freeman Aquatics Center on Dec. 5.
Image by Daily File Photo
Gophers sophomore Brooke Zeiger competes in the women’s 400 individual medley finals in the Jean K. Freeman Aquatics Center on Dec. 5.
Minnesota finished 16th with 70 points at the 2016 NCAA Championships in Atlanta, Ga., with five Gophers earning All-American honors.

The finish is the team’s lowest since not participating in the NCAA meet as a team in 2005.

“I’m happy for the team; they did a nice job starting on Thursday and kept fighting. Everything didn’t go perfect for us,” head coach Kelly Kremer said. “When things didn’t go our way, they continued to battle as a team, and overall, I’m really pleased with the finish.”

Sophomore Brooke Zeiger finished sixth in the 400 individual medley with a season-best 4:05.38, eighth in the 1650 freestyle with a personal-best 16:00.64 and 15th in the 500 free with a time of 4:41.08.

Zeiger earned All-American honors in the 400 individual medley and 1,650 freestyle and was an honorable mention All-American in the 500 free.

“Brooke really led us in the pool,” Kremer said. “She continues to be one of the best swimmers in the country in [the 400 individual medley] and did a great job. To see her get eighth in the 1,650 tonight was just outstanding.”

Junior diver Yu Zhou finished as the runner-up on platform diving with 331.90 points and took fifth in the 3-meter event with a score of 365.45. She earned the fourth and fifth All-American honors of her career after her performance.

“She didn’t have a perfect meet, but she’s a perfect example of someone [who] just kept fighting and kept doing everything she could for our team,” Kremer said.

Divers Jessica Ramberg and Lexi Tenenbaum both earned their first honorable mention All-American honors on the platform dive.

Senior Lauren Votava also earned honorable mention All-American honors in the pool by finishing 13th in the 200 free with a personal-best time of 1:45.09.

“I think it was a really good opportunity for our team to learn and to grow,” Kremer said. “This is a year that is going to be a springboard for us going into a really bright year next year.”