Report details sexual assault allegation against Chinese billionaire Richard Liu

A 21-year-old University of Minnesota student was allegedly sexually assaulted by Liu.

Chinese e-commerce billionaire Richard Liu, who was arrested in Minneapolis late last month for a rape allegation, is said to have forced himself upon a 21-year-old female Chinese student attending the University of Minnesota after a gathering with dinner and drinks in Uptown, according to a report from Reuters.

The alleged assault reportedly took place at the student’s Minneapolis apartment on Aug. 30, after a dinner party at Origami Uptown with around two dozen people, including around 20 men, Reuters details in the report.

“I was not willing,” she wrote in Chinese in a WeChat message around 2 a.m. on Aug. 31, Reuters reports. “Tomorrow I will think of a way to escape,” she wrote, asking the friend not to call police.

In another message, the woman said that she felt like she was pressured to drink at the dinner party, according to Reuters.

Liu is the founder of JD.com, one of China’s largest online direct retailers. Last week, the investigation into the sexual assault allegation was turned over to Hennepin County prosecutors by the Minneapolis Police Department. 

After the assault allegedly took place at her apartment around 1 a.m., the woman subsequently contacted a fellow University student who notified the police, according to Reuters. Police arrived at the apartment, but no arrest was initially made. 

Liu was later arrested at a University office after the woman accused him of rape. He was released 17 hours later and is currently back in China, according to the report.

According to the report released by Reuters, Liu is cooperating with investigators.