Y hosts kickball at U

Costume KickBall
Image by Tara Sloane
Costume KickBall

The University YMCA on Sunday hosted the first annual costume kickball tournament at Van Cleve Park in Southeast Como. All proceeds from the tournament went to benefit various student-led YMCA programs, which focus on building community, social awareness and progressive leadership roles. The tournament cost $50 per team of eight to 10. Public Relations Student Society of America Firm Director Allison Dent helped plan the event. âÄúI think this is something that they wanted to try to do that would be fun, that the students would want to get involved in to benefit them,âÄù the journalism senior said. Four teams participated in the tournament, with two wearing matching outfits. Team BBWR ordered maroon and gold shirts for the tournament. Co-captain Dave Cocchiarella said his group of friends hasnâÄôt played kickball in a while. âÄúWe kind of retired back in our junior high years, but weâÄôre bringing it back out today,âÄù St. Thomas political science and entrepreneurship senior Zach Duckworth , a member of team BBWR, said. While the YMCA reaches out to students, it receives a lot of support from the community. âÄúWe posted it on community calendars all around town so that other people would see, hoping that the turnout would be a mixed bag,âÄù Dent said. YMCA student board member Laura Schenke , an English studies junior, helped plan the event with the four other board members. The majority of the participants were University of Minnesota students, but Schenke said the event met her goal. âÄúIt was successful and we plan on making it bigger and better in the future,âÄù she said.