Bicyclist hit on Fourth Street

The bicyclist, who was going the wrong way on Fourth Street, was taken to the hospital.

A car hit a bicyclist that was biking the wrong way on Fourth Street Southeast Thursday night, the latest in a series of similar incidents near Dinkytown.

A driver was headed north on 10th Avenue SE as two bicyclists were going the wrong way in the bike lane on the one-way street at about 9:15 p.m. The driver, who had a green light, saw one bicyclist and let it pass, but did not see the second bicyclist and struck it. The bicyclist went onto the driver’s windshield and then rolled onto the street, according to a police report.

The victim, University of Minnesota design student Baruk Ibrahim, was taken to the hospital. His injuries don’t appear life-threatening, said Minneapolis police Sgt. Steve McCarty.

While walking a block away, University student Steve Sletten said he heard the accident and a scream.

Student Aaron Keniski, 20, was with Sletten at the time and walked over to the scene where he saw 10 to 20 people gathering. He said he saw Ibrahim, 22, in an ambulance rubbing his head. IbrahimâÄôs leg seemed âÄúmessed up,âÄù and he was yelling, Keniski said.

Police do not suspect the driver, a student, was impaired, McCarty said.

The accident is the latest in a series of car-pedestrian tragedies concentrated in the area. A month ago, student Audrey Hull died after a semitruck turned and hit the bicyclist outside McDonaldâÄôs, just five blocks from Thursday nightâÄôs accident. After an April 15 hit-and-run at Fifth Street and 12th Avenue Southeast that led to the death of one student, the driver was charged with murder. In February, also near Fourth Street and 10 Avenue Southeast, a driver ran over a University student, breaking her leg, then fled.

-Sally Hunter contributed to this report