Six student-approved late-night drunk eats around campus.

From pizza to hot pot, University of Minnesota students reveal some of their favorite late-night drunk eats on campus.
Image by Mary Ellen Ritter

After a night of water moccasins and whiskey gingers across Dinkytown, there’s only one thing on your mind: food. But where? What’s going to be open?

University of Minnesota students confess some of their go-to, late-night food favorites in Dinkytown and Como, and always remember: eat responsibly.

Frank & Andrea

This pizza and philly cheesesteak-focused eatery is open everyday, and stays open as late as 3 a.m. everyday except for Sunday. Located on the corner of 13th Avenue SE and Fourth Street SE, Frank & Andrea’s is a short walk from any Dinkytown bar.

“I would say Frank and Andrea’s because first, proximity,” Michael O’Keefe, political science major, said. “Second, it’s never boring in there and third, just looking at all of the options awakens the child-like sense of wonder in me. Not that the alcohol didn’t already do that, but still.”

“My favorite place to eat when I’m shmacked is Frank and Andrea’s because it’s open super late and it’s always packed with hammered people to become five-minute-homies with and not remember the next day,” Nick Juusola said. “An added bonus of why I like it is because one time when I was there, Gable Steveson bought my friend’s meal for him.”

“I love Frank and Andrea’s because … Well, only because it’s the closest restaurant to Dinkytown bars — and Drunk Don’s is gone now, rest in peace,” Nate Wandmacher, mechanical engineering major, said.

“Frank and Andrea every time. It’s just fire consistent pizza, simply put. It’s proximity to everything is great, too,” said Matthew Kinfu, marketing major.

Como Tap
In the heart of the University’s Como neighborhood, Como Tap is located on Como Avenue SE and is open Sunday to Thursday until 1 a.m., and is open until 2 a.m. Friday and Saturday. With a jukebox, pool table and darts, the bar offers a full menu alongside a full bar.

“Como Tap is it for late-night food. A beer, nachos and darts never goes wrong on a Saturday night,” Alex Kimball, music performance major, said.

“I’ve been going to Como Tap since it was named Sporty’s and it has never disappointed,” Connor Dainty, art and economics double major, said. “The food is great and the place is always bumping with great energy. Back when they had it, they ran a mean karaoke.”

Raising Cane’s Chicken Fingers

With locations in both Dinkytown and Stadium Village, Cane’s has chicken cravings covered. The location in Dinkytown, located on the corner of University Avenue SE and 15th Avenue SE is open late-night on Friday and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 3 a.m., while the Stadium Village location on the corner of Washington Avenue SE and Ontario Avenue SE is opened late-night on Friday and Saturday, from 11 a.m. to midnight.

“I like Cane’s. Chicken? And Texas toast? C’mon. It’s consistent and I always know it’s going to be good. Also it’s very greasy so it’s nice after a long night of drinking,” said Bailey Bertram, neuroscience major.

Lèpot

As a hot pot restaurant in the heart of Dinkytown, Lèpot offers you the ability to create your own late-night meal. Located on 14th Avenue SE, this authentic Asian cuisine is open Monday through Thursday until 10 p.m. and is open until 11 p.m. on Friday and Saturday.

“Lèpot is my favorite! I love the authentic Asian dishes and it makes it extra fun to cook your own food in front of you,” said Syreena Trombley, psychology major. “My favorite part is how customizable it is. Being able to make my own sauce and pick my own food is great. It’s all around fun and yummy!”

Mesa Pizza

Serving over 50 pizza varieties and being located in the heart of Dinkytown since 2006 has placed Mesa Pizza as a University late-night staple. The serve-by-the-slice pizza spot is open until 1 a.m. on Thursday and until 2 a.m. on Friday and Saturday.

“Okay, I know that everyone loves Frank and Andrea’s. But Mesa is open late, literally has the exact quality and price as Frank’s, but is less chaotic inside with shorter lines and a better atmosphere,” Ben Scrambler, English major, said.

Wally’s Falafel and Hummus

Open every day of the week until 11 p.m., Wally’s Falafel and Hummus offers Middle Eastern cuisine all night. Located at 423 14th Avenue SE, Wally’s is in the heart of Dinkytown and is a short walk from any on-campus bar.

“Wally’s is my top ranked spot. I give it full credit because it’s completely authentic and full of flavor!” Allie Bruns, political science and social justice major, said.