Students, faculty hold sit-in over proposed pay cuts

Youth studies students and faculty at the University of Minnesota speak out about community faculty pay cuts.
Image by Olivia Hines
Some faculty may see as much as a 30% reduction in their pay. YOST students held a sit-in on Nov. 9 to protest the potential pay cuts.

The University of Minnesota Youth Studies (YOST) students and faculty members held a sit-in on Wednesday to protest the proposed pay cuts to community faculty at the School of Social Work (SSW). The sit-in took place from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. in Peters Hall on the St. Paul campus and drew about 45 attendees.

YOST students received an email on Oct. 28 from SSW Interim Director of Undergraduate Studies Deborah Moore informing students of the department’s decision to “significantly reduce the pay of YOST/SJ/FVP community faculty.”

According to Moore’s email, the decision was made by the School of Social Work director, and some faculty may see as much as a 30% reduction in their pay.

“As students in YOST, it is important for you to have this information, as it may affect your classroom experiences,” Moore wrote in the email. “It is possible that some faculty may not continue teaching due to the pay reduction and that we need to consider course changes this Spring due to departures.”

Notice of the pay cuts was sent out by Joan Blakey, the director of SSW, in a letter to community faculty on Oct. 19. The decision was made as a result of an SSW budget deficit, according to Moore’s email.

“I requested and presented a counter proposal for the pay reduction and sent a letter of dissent against a proposal to pay a few faculty more without a transparent and communicated criteria,” Moore said in her email. “I will continue to both articulate my dissent on this issue and work to the best of my ability to administer and communicate about the decisions and policies sent by Dr. Blakey.”

At the sit-in, students brought forward a comprehensive list of questions and requests they have for Blakey regarding the pay cuts.

The sit-in took place from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. in Peters Hall on the St. Paul campus and drew about 45 attendees. (Olivia Hines)

The list of requests includes a return to the previous community faculty pay rates while the department explores further options and allowing students access to information about the decision-making process related to solving the current budget deficit.

“I organized this event because I felt we need a space to share information,” Sarah Etheridge, vice president of the Youth Studies Cooperative, said. “We are trying to model what we’re taught in our classrooms and be transparent.”

Three representatives of the Youth Studies Cooperative sent a letter to Blakey on Oct. 28 voicing their dissent of the proposed pay cuts.

“Dr. Blakey, you see Community Faculty as the bottom line. We see them as life savers,” the letter stated. “These vibrant faculty members volunteer their time, exercise critical flexibility with students who are experiencing life crises, and provide opportunities for success outside of the classroom. They do all of this while making barely above a liveable wage with no benefits and no job security.”

In the United States, 73% of classes are taught by contract employees who are paid poorly, according to John Marboe, a YOST community faculty member who teaches youth work and spirituality. He said pay cuts are expected to take place in fall 2023.

“What does that say when we cut the pay of our lowest-paid teachers,” Marboe said. “If administration follows through with the pay cuts, I won’t stay at the University.”

Marboe said he came to the sit-in to support the community faculty in addition to YOST students.

“I work here because I believe in the mission, and I love the students,” Marboe said.

Emanuel Williams, a fourth-year YOST student, said he believes that community faculty members are instrumental in students’ education.

“We have potential youth workers that won’t understand how to apply what they’ve learned outside of the classroom if community faculty members leave,” Williams said. “If the institution fails them, it trickles down to us students.”

Piper Wilson, a second-year YOST student, said she thinks the community faculty are the backbone of this institution, and their field experience is valuable in the classroom.

“I don’t know if I’ll be able to stay in this program and help our youth when the professors leave because they aren’t making a livable wage,” Wilson said.

Other students shared similar sentiments of disbelief and concern about the effects of community faculty pay cuts on their education.

“All these community faculty members have been there for me as a first-generation student of color and I know will continue to be there for me; I wouldn’t have my education without them,” Jalisa Sang, a YOST student, said.

William Eng, a third-year student with a YOST minor, is one of the officers of the Youth Studies Cooperative who helped organize the event to support his teachers.

“Community faculty will do anything to help you in your education,” Eng said. “I can’t describe how frustrated I am to see they aren’t being supported the way they’ve supported me.”

At the sit-in, Blakey said there is a $500,000 budget deficit, and SSW was the most over budget in the community faculty pay rate.

SSW is looking at other options besides pay cuts, such as limiting small classrooms and the number of required courses.

“Once we have a handle on the resources we have and how we use them, we can look at more funding,” Blakey said. “Right now, I don’t know where we need more money and if we are spending our current money the best way.”

In the decision-making process, Blakey has worked with a senior management team, other deans at Schools of Social Work, her leadership team, an executive coach and heads at the College of Education and Human Development. Despite the proposed pay cuts and budget deficits, Blakey would not be taking a cut in her salary

Etheridge asked at the sit-in if there were student representatives at any of the meetings and Blakely responded that the first conversation was at a graduate council meeting, which is open to students. However, none of the YOST students knew of the graduate council meetings, Etheridge said.

“It’s concerning,” Etheridge said. “Our response would’ve been different if we were involved from the beginning.”

Blakey promised to send them emails about the next graduate counseling meeting happening virtually Nov. 16 at 2 p.m.

YOST students received a curated email from Blakey in response to questions they had about the community faculty pay cuts where the response was sent out twice, which upset many students.

“I felt our concerns were being delegitimized, it was belittling to receive those responses. We deserve transparency and trust, which are our core values,” Eng said.

Blakey said she’s open to all ideas students have and the ways they can work together. She promised to share SSW’s total budget with YOST students in the near future.

Williams said Blakey should come to the classrooms and meet with students to better understand the YOST community and share her experiences with students looking to follow in her line of work.

“We need to see you,” Williams said. “You are a Black woman in a position of power that historically wasn’t an opportunity for you and me. Please get down here with us.”