Men’s basketball: Mike Mitchell Jr. commits to UMN

The sophomore guard from Pepperdine announced his commitment to Gophers basketball Wednesday.
Williams Arena as seen on Monday, June 17, 2019.
Image by Tony Saunders

Mike Mitchell Jr., a 6-foot-2-inch sophomore guard, has announced his commitment to the University of Minnesota’s men’s basketball team.

A former member of the Pepperdine Waves, Mitchell Jr. entered the transfer portal following the 2022-23 season.

Mitchell Jr. looks to replace the vacant guard positions of Ta’Lon Cooper and Jaden Henley after they entered the transfer portal earlier in March.

The sophomore from San Jose, California, brings some positivity to the Gophers basketball program after four players announced they were entering the transfer portal at the conclusion of the 2022-23 season.

With Pepperdine this past season, Mitchell Jr. averaged 11.4 points, 4.1 rebounds and 5 assists in 31 games. Mitchell Jr.’s 5 assist average was the best on Pepperdine’s roster and was not the only category he led the team in. His average of 1.1 steals per game and 44% 3-point percentage was also team-best.

In his freshman season at Pepperdine, Mitchell Jr. led the team in assists and steals, averaging 4.9 and 1, respectively.

Playing against the new competition in a different conference, Mitchell Jr. will bring an offensive presence to the Gophers’ roster with hopes of improving last season’s 2-17 Big Ten record.

This is the first transfer Minnesota has landed this offseason; head coach Ben Johnson will continue to look to fill the open positions on the Gophers’ roster.