Library staff provide summer reading recommendations 

As the semester comes to an end, University of Minnesota libraries can help you find your new favorite book.
Image by Ava Weinreis

As summer approaches, the University of Minnesota’s libraries continue to offer resources for students as their reading habits turn from academic to recreational.

Reading challenges, virtual accommodations and a diverse array of books are just some of what the libraries will offer this summer. The University library staff members said they feel confident they can help students with all their reading needs, academic or otherwise.

Campus libraries will host a reading challenge this summer called reading-opoly. Inspired by the game Monopoly, the challenge will give students tasks in a variety of reading genres and a chance to win prizes.

The libraries have provided summer reading challenges since 2015. Last year, the summer reading program was quest-themed. For example, one challenge was titled “travel the haunted woods… read five mystery books,” and touted a dragon goblet as the prize.

In addition to their summer reading challenge, University library staff will continue to offer personalized reading recommendations through the matchmakers form on their website.

“We have a huge spreadsheet of all the books we’ve recommended in the past,” said Lacie McMillin, a University library assistant.

They use online resources such as GoodReads and NoveList to give their recommendations.
Now students can read books from the University’s libraries through Libby, an app that offers users access to ebooks and audiobooks virtually when connected with a library.

“It’s super easy. You can do it from your phone. You can use your Kindle,” said McMillin.

With the app’s interlibrary loan services, which connect libraries around the world, University libraries are able to acquire books that students might struggle to obtain.

“If you can’t find it, we can try to get it for you,” said Ashley Kes, a library assistant.

Kes said she hopes the University community will realize that University libraries are for more than just studying.

“I think we are slowly challenging the stereotype that an academic library, you know, doesn’t have any fun books,” Kes said.

The library staff pointed to several new additions to their collection including Prince Harry’s blockbuster tell-all, “Spare,” as well as a collection of romance, dark academia and graphic novels. Currently, Wilson Library has a DIY display featuring books on crochet, sustainable gardening and more.

University libraries will also continue to offer hours for public and student use. Walter Library will begin their 24-hour access for finals on Friday until May 10.

“It’s really a pleasure to see how well used our spaces are and how important it is to students’ academic success.” said Julie Dinger, a University library access and information services manager.

Once summer starts, the library’s hours will be reduced greatly.

“It’s really always a shock to us because our traffic falls so drastically and we go from being really really busy, particularly from finals to, ‘everybody left,'” Dinger said. “If anyone’s still around, remember Walter — and now we have air conditioning.”

In addition to the above resources, University library staff members provided a few summer book recommendations.

“True Biz” by Sara Novic

Recommended by Dinger, the novel “True Biz” follows the lives of several students at a residential school for the Deaf.

“I learned so much about the Deaf community and its history,” Dinger said.

“Butts: A Backstory” by Heather Radke

Recommended by McMillin, this nonfiction book follows the author as she learns the history behind the female posterior.

“It’s just one of those super quirky micro-histories,” McMillin said.

“Hell Bent” by Leigh Bardugo

Recommended by Kes, this fantasy novel is the sequel to “Ninth House” and follows the adventures of Alex Stern, a member of Yale’s freshman class. Bardugo, a Yale alum herself, is known for “Shadow and Bone” and “Six of Crows,” two books set in the same fictional universe that were adapted into a Netflix series.

“The Sense of Wonder” by Matthew Salesses

Recommended by Dinger, the novel is about an Asian-American basketball player named Won Lee and how he navigates his newfound stardom along with those around him.