UMN students pick their song of the summer

Here are nine songs UMN students chose as the song of the summer.
House shows can bring different bands together in the same space.
Image by Graphic by Morgan La Casse

With June behind us and two months until September, students have been enjoying the green spaces on campus at the University of Minnesota. While going up and talking to some of these people, they gave their picks for the song of the summer. 

No one agreed on a song – they were all different. 

“Moving” by The Happy Fits

Released in 2020, “Moving” is the third track on the album, “What Could Be Better,” by The Happy Fits.

Picked by Ciara Nyberg, a third-year student at the University, she normally listens to “Alternative, emo and punk kind of things. Also mix in Japanese rock and visual K styles.”

“Look What You’ve Done” by Drake

Released in 2011 off the album “Take Care,” “Look What You’ve Done” is University student Presley Sommers’ pick. 

“I’m into R&B mainly, Drake is probably my number one artist,” Sommers said. “I’m actually going to see him in Chicago next week so I’m really excited.” 

When it comes to summer music, “If you can dance and bob your head to it it’s obviously something good,” Sommers said. 

“Everywhere” by Fleetwood Mac

“Everywhere” by Fleetwood Mac was released in 1988 on the album “Tango in the Night,” and was picked for this list by Ruby Bolton. 

Bolton is a third-year student at the University. She typically listens to folk, pop and indie-rock, naming artists such as Wilco, Boygenius and Big Thief. 

When she is listening to summer songs, however, she goes for something “Upbeat, probably happier,” Bolton said. “None of the artists I said were very upbeat or happy.”

“Slide” by Calvin Harris featuring Frank Ocean and Migos

Picked by Martina Kochnitcharska, “Slide” was released in 2017 as the debut collaboration between Calvin Harris, Frank Ocean and Migos. 

In a review of the song by Pitchfork, an online music magazine, Ryan Dombal said, “If this isn’t a big radio record, the radio as it currently exists should probably cease to be.” 

Kochnitcharska listens to music “all over the map.” Kochnitcharska included Caamp, Lumineers, Hippo Campus and DaBaby in her list of artists currently in her listening rotation.

“Don’t Blame Me” by Taylor Swift

Released in 2017, “Don’t Blame Me” is the fourth track on the album “Reputation” by Taylor Swift.

“It’s always going to be a top song,” Mia McAleer, a third-year University student, said. McAleer regularly listens to Metro Boomin, Drake and Country music.

“Roses” by Outkast

Released in 2003 and picked for this list by Morgen Bauer, another University student, “Roses” reached number 9 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 2004. 

Bauer likes a wide variety of music including pop, R&B and country. When it comes to the song of the summer, “It’s nice to have one that a lot of people know,” she said. 

“The Spins” by Mac Miller

Picked by Vivian Kinny, she typically likes a summer song that is “fun, lighthearted and kind of fast,” she said. 

“The Spins” by Mac Miller was released in 2010 off the album “K.I.D.S.” in the genre Hip-Hop/Rap. It is Mac Miller’s third most streamed song of all time, with over 400 million streams.

“Sober” by Childish Gambino

Released in 2014, “Sober” was the first track released off of the “Kauai” EP and can be classified as neo-soul. 

Picked by Abby Endres, she typically likes music that is “vibey and chill,” she said. 

“Lucky Buddha pt. II” by Hedonistas

“To be honest, I’ve never really thought of music in terms of seasons,” Nathan Runk, a part-time student at the University, said. “For me, anything can be a summer song.” 

“Lucky Buddha pt. II” was released in 2018 off the album “The Way Things Were” by Hedonistas.

With music spanning the last four decades and a variety of genres, there may not be just one song of the summer for 2023. At least, according to these nine University students, there is not.