Each person identified which text was written by AI correctly, citing awkward phrasing and strange word choices as indicators.
AI or not AI?
Published May 1, 2024

Marcy Park’s new dog park puts pets at center stage

The new dog park in Marcy Park promotes pet ownership for students near campus.
The dog parks construction ended in June.
Image by Sarah Mai
The dog park’s construction ended in June.

After renovations to Marcy Park created the city’s first dog park in a decade, pet owners near the University of Minnesota have a new place to bring their companions.

The park’s renovations began in July 2022 as part of the city’s 20-year Neighborhood Park Plan, which closed the park until construction finished in June. The Marcy-Holmes Neighborhood Association (MHNA) celebrated the park’s upgrades on Saturday, which included newly planted trees, a basketball court and a dog park for local pets to have a safe space to play. 

Pets are an important part of Marcy-Holmes, according to MHNA President Vic Thorstenson, who said the new space will allow pets and their owners to be more included in the community.

“The park is just meant to be a place to let your dog run around or shoot a few hoops or lay on a hammock or just sit in the grass and read a book,” Thorstenson said.

MHNA has also been working to change the name of Marcy Park due to its namesake, William Marcy, being a prominent politician and slavery advocate during the 1800s, according to Thorstenson. Thorstenson said they will collect names and then forward the one the association picks “to the Park Board.”

The University is not pet-friendly for students living near campus, according to Josh Archambault, a student dog owner at the University. Archambault said whether people own pets for support or companionship, there are not enough places for their dogs to go.

Archambault said he frequently takes his two-year-old dog to Marcy Park because it is one of the few pet-friendly parks.

“I usually take him off the leash and let him run around in the little dog park that just opened up,” Archambault said. “It’s a really good addition to the park. There wasn’t a whole lot there before so it’s nice to have an actual dog park available for pet owners.”

Archambault said he previously brought his dog to Marcy Park before renovations were completed and recommended others avoid dealing with the lack of open space for pets by leaving them at home.

“I actually wouldn’t encourage it,” Archambault said. “My dog doesn’t get to run around as much as he should be able to because he’s so active.” 

Jasmine Christianson, another pet owner on campus, said she did not bring her dog to the University due to the lack of open space for dogs to go on walks, take bathroom breaks and play.

“Where would I bring my dog?” Christianson said. “In all honesty, there’s nothing as convenient as having a dog park like Marcy does.”

Although, Christianson said not bringing her pet to campus was best for her pet as the campus does not provide enough space for active pets.

“I’d love to have my dog here,” Christianson said. “Marcy Park sounds like a great place to take him, but this campus just isn’t made for active pets.”

Correction: The original version misstated the naming process for the park. It will be through the MHNA and the Park Board.

View Comments (1)