Men’s Hockey: Badgers sweep with 5-4 win

Update: 3:42 coincidental pens, Bostrom for slashing the goaltender and McDonagh for roughing. 7:27 Minn pen, Wehrs for interference. 9:48 Wisc goal, Mitchell (12) from Gorowsky (12) and Bohmbach (9). Mitchell was credited with the goal after kicking the puck towards Kangas, but the rebound bounced off Ness’ skate and slowly slid into the net. After making a series of good saves intitially, Kangas never even saw the puck slide past his pad – looking around for the puck several seconds after it had already crossed the goal line. 16:03 Minn goal, Lucia (5) from Sacchetti (3) and Schroeder (20). Lucia picked up an ugly goal when he hammered in his fifth goal of the season through the muck to bring the Gophers back to within a goal. With 1:12 remaining, Lucia pulled Kangas for the extra attacker after the Gophers were putting heavy pressure on Connolly. Minnesota couldn’t get it done though despite numerous late chances and a diving save at the other end of the rink by Ness. Second: Here’s the rundown: No matter how the game ends up, I’m happy. Tonight’s game was blessed with the presence of Green Man from It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia. 3:14 Wisc goal 3-1, Dolan (4) from Goloubef (7). Goloubef’s slap shot bounced off Dolan’s knee pad and past Kangas. 3:22 Wisc pen, Gardiner for hooking 3:41 Minn pen, Barriball for holding. 4:19 coincidental pens, Stoa for slashing the goaltender and Goloubef for roughing. 5:31 Minn pen, Fairchild for tripping. 6:59 Minn SH goal 3-2, Flynn (4) unassisted. With a little help from Anderson, Flynn found the puck in the defensive zone and threw a wrist shot past Connelly to bring the Gophers back to within a goal. 7:51 Wisc pen, Mitchell for slashing. 7:56 Minn PP goal, Fairchild (6) from Barriball (16) and Stoa (16). Fairchild blasted a one timer from the left face-off circle to tie it up. Ryan Stoa won the draw and Barriball found Fairchild in open ice. Five seconds after Mitchell went into the box. 9:11 Minn pen, Lofquist for holding. 9:37 Wisc PP goal, McBain (7) from Gardiner (15) and Stepan (18). Just above the top of the slot, McBain’s wrister went untouched into the back of the net. The junior defenseman already has three points tonight (1-2). 14:53 coincidental pens, Davies and Wehrs for unsportsmanlike conduct. Minnesota holds on to the lead in shots at least, 23-22. First: 3:11 Wisc pen, Murray for slashing. 5:32 Wisc goal, Mitchell (12) from McBain (26) and Gardiner (14). McBain took a wide shot that Kangas stopped just before crossing the goal line, but Mitchell crashed the net and jammed the puck home. 5:50 Minn pen, Flynn for slashing. 8:31 Minn goal, Stoa (16) from Flynn (10) and Schroeder (19). Flynn carried the puck behind the Badgers net and slipped a quick pass to Stoa in front. The junior tapped the pass off Connelly’s pads and into the corner of the net. Where was Barriball? Throughout much of the first period, coach Don Lucia mixed up the lines up and down the roster. He had said earlier that getting that first line back on the score sheet was important, but he barely ever touches the first line. It worked, but the normal lines were back together by the end of the period. 11:54 Wisc pen, Springer for interference. 16:06 Wisc goal, Bendickson (3) from . Kangas, who broke his stick during the play, basically had no chance to make the save since Wehrs and Geoffrion were tangled up inside the net. Bendickson had an open net to shoot at and didn’t miss, but neither did on ice officials who waved off the goal soon after. What I don’t understand is why Wehrs didn’t get called for holding. He had Geoffrion hog tied for a good five seconds before the goal. Another thing, Kangas really did himself in on the play after pushing a rebound right back out to the slot, where the Badgers picked it up. 18:01 Wisc goal, Murray (6) from McBain (27) and Stepan (17). Kangas almost picked up Murray’s shot, which was very similar to the cross-crease saves both he and Connolly stoned last night, but he either didn’t get enough of the shot or the rebound bounced back in off a Gophers defenseman. Minnesota leads in shots 12-9. Pre-game:

Round two is 60 minutes away and Tony Lucia will return to the lineup tonight after missing the last two games with what was assumed to be a back injury. Lucia was checked from behind at the end of the second period first last Friday in Mankato and didn’t return. He’ll replace Justin Bostrom on Minnesota’s third line. Bostrom will move down to the fourth line and Drew Fisher will watch the game from the press box.

Interesting news about Grant Scott. The freshman wasn’t listed on the roster last night, he’s not there tonight either. The Gophers staff is pretty tight lipped on the subject right now, but apparently Scott missed the entire week of practice. A team spokesman didn’t really have an answer for why but said nothing was definite yet. It’s likely that Scott could be unhappy with his playing time. He came all the way to Minnesota from Sewickley, Penn. by way of the U.S. National Team Development Program and then has only played in one game – last Saturday against the Mavs. Even then Scott saw extremely limited ice time. He played his first shift of the game and after that was only seen serving one of the Gophers two 5-minute majors.

Lineups:
MINNESOTA
Stoa-Schroeder-Barriball
Hoeffel-Carman-Hansen
Lucia-White-Flynn
Bostrom-Sacchetti-Miller
Ness-Fischer
Fairchild-Anderson
Wehrs-Lofquist
Kangas in goal with Patterson and Kremer backing up.
Scratches: Fisher (healthy), Schack (healthy) Matson (knee), and Larson (unknown, presumably healthy)
WISCONSIN
Bohmbach-Geoffrion-Gorowsky
Murray-Stepan-Davies
Mitchell-Bendickson-Grotting
Johnson-Dolan-Turnbull
Gardiner-McBain
McDonagh-Goloubef
Springer-Johnson
Connelly in net with Gudmandson backing up.