Women’s golf team finishes 20th out of 23 at Lady Paladin Invitational in S.C.

Senior Terra Petsinger was the Gophers’ top finisher, tying for 18th place.

Minnesota’s women’s golf team wrapped up its fall season this weekend, finishing 20th out of 23 teams at the Lady Paladin Invitational in Greenville, S.C.

Despite a tied-for-18th-place individual finish by senior Terra Petsinger, the Gophers finished 49 strokes behind first-place Furman.

Petsinger shot a two-under 70 Sunday to vault herself from 53rd into a tie for 18th. As a whole, the team shot its best round of the tournament Sunday, firing a 12-over 300 Sunday to move from the 21st spot into the 20th.

Furman led the tournament from beginning to end, shooting a tournament best, 1-under 287 the first day and holding on to beat Georgia by a stroke at 7-over for the tournament.

Gophers sophomore Samantha Braschler finished tied for 69th while junior Sarah Butler ended up in a tie for 75th. Sophomore Sophie Stubbs and freshman Kelli Berns rounded out the field for the Gophers, finishing tied for 84th and 113th, respectively.

Men’s golf in Oregon for Pac 10/Big Ten tourney

Minnesota’s men’s golf team begins play in the Pac-10/Big Ten Challenge today in Bandon Dunes, Ore.

The 14-team field features 2004 NCAA champion California and runner-up UCLA.

The Gophers finished fifth in their last tournament, the Windon Memorial Classic, which ended Oct. 5. Gophers junior Josh Persons looks to continue his streak of finishing in the top three in two consecutive tournaments.

Persons finished tied for second at the Windon after a final-round 68. He transferred to Minnesota this season after two at Kansas State.

Swimming and diving teams complete tune-ups

Minnesota’s men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams took on alumni swimmers Friday night in their last tune-up before their regular seasons begin.

Capping successful nights for both teams, seniors Justin Mortimer and Terry Silkaitis both won events for the men, winning the 200-meter and 50-meter freestyle, respectively. For the women, junior Katherine Marshall won the 100 breaststroke and freshman Emma Sinkler won the 100 backstroke.

Mortimer, who took last year off to train for the Olympics, won the 200 in a time of 1:40.97

Both teams open the competitive season Friday when the women travel to Iowa State and the men travel to Florida.