Missing UMN student found dead

Sumith Maddi, the student who was reported missing last week, was found dead in the Mississippi River on Thursday.
Image by University of Minnesota Department of Public Safety (courtesy)
The University posted a message on their Twitter asking for help on Oct. 22.

19-year-old University of Minnesota student Sumith Maddi, who was reported missing last week, was found dead in the Mississippi River.

Bruce’s Legacy, a volunteer search and rescue organization, said in a Facebook post they received a call from Maddi’s family on Oct. 22 asking them to help find their missing son. The search crew arrived early the next Thursday morning and found Maddi soon after.

The post from Bruce’s Legacy said they were able to return Maddi to his family with help from the Hennepin County Water Patrol.

According to an obituary from White Funeral Homes in Burnsville, Maddi passed away on Oct. 21, the same day he was last seen. He was last seen leaving the 17th Avenue Residence Hall at 2:40 a.m.

The University Department of Public Safety asked for help locating Maddi last week. They confirmed in a follow-up to their original tweet on Oct. 22 that “this is no longer a missing person.”

The exact circumstances of Maddi’s death are still unknown.

A visitation and funeral service for Maddi was held on Monday. He is survived by his parents, sister, grandparents, and other family and friends.

Maddi graduated from Eastview High School in Apple Valley before attending the College of Liberal Arts.

View Comments (4)