Three baseball draft picks agree to terms

.Cleveland Indians 12th-round draft pick Matt Fornasiere agreed to terms with the organization, while 31st-round pick Matt Loberg already signed with the club.

Also agreeing to terms was Jake Elder, who was drafted by the Arizona Diamondbacks in the 18th round.

Junior pitcher Jon Mueller, taken in the 16th round by the Chicago Cubs, has not yet agreed to terms.

Pedescleaux departs

Everett Pedescleaux, who was recruited by Minnesota’s football team and recently decided to try to play with the men’s basketball team this year, has decided to transfer from the University.

Pedescleaux pleaded guilty two weeks ago to stealing a CD last July. He missed the entire 2004 football season with a knee injury.

Mortimer, Alvarez news

Graduated men’s swimmer Justin Mortimer and outgoing men’s gymnast Guillermo Alvarez were named first-team Academic All-Americans by ESPN The Magazine on Tuesday.

Mortimer earned four All-American citations this year while carrying a 3.43 grade point average as a physics student. Alvarez was awarded the Nissen-Emery Award as the nation’s top senior gymnast while earning a 3.84 GPA as a psychology student.

La’Cassie All-American

Minnesota men’s golfer Bronson La’Cassie has been named a third-team Ping All-American by the Golf Coaches Association of America.

La’Cassie, who just finished his sophomore season with the Gophers, was named honorable mention as a freshman. It’s the fifth straight year a Gophers golfer has been named to one of the teams. He was a first-team All-Big Ten selection and led the team with a 72.11 stroke average.

Chucko invited to camp

Minnesota men’s hockey sophomore forward Kris Chucko was invited to Canada’s National Junior Team Development Camp, held August 10-15 in Whistler, British Columbia.

Canada’s 44 best junior-aged players born in 1986 and 1987 were invited to the camp. The IIHF World Junior Championships will be held Dec. 26-Jan. 5 in Vancouver, Kelowna and Kamloops, British Columbia.

Recruits All-Americans

Two Minnesota wrestling recruits have been named to the 20th annual Asics All-America Wrestling Team. Dustin Schlatter is a first-team selection while Jayson Ness is a second-team selection.

Schlatter won the 2004 Asics wrestler of the year and is the only repeat selection on the 2005 first team. He is the younger brother of Gophers sophomore 157-pounder C.P. Schlatter, who was a top recruit in 2003.

Ness won his second state title at Bloomington Jefferson High School in Bloomington, Minn., in February. He was a 2004 junior national champion in Greco-Roman and a runner-up in freestyle.