Swim teams win US Champions Series

Minnesota’s men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams both won their USA Swimming Champions Series held Thursday through Sunday at the University Aquatic Center.

The Gophers men finished with 698 points, beating second-place Scout Aquatics by 401 points. The women, on the other hand, held on for a close win over second-place Lake Forest Aquatics, 346-332.5.

Senior Travis Beckerle led the men by winning both the 1,500-meter freestyle and the 800 free. The team also won the 800 and 400 free relays, former Gophers All-American Sean McCaffrey won the 200 free and senior Sean Kelly won the 200 breaststroke.

For the women, Kate Hardt won the 400 free and Val Tukey won the 800 free. Both also competed on the 800 free relay team that won.

Pair commit to hockey

David Fischer of Apple Valley High School and Jay Barriball of the Academy of Holy Angels have both committed to play for Minnesota’s men’s hockey team in 2007.

Fischer, a 6-foot-3-inch senior defenseman, is expected to play in the United States Hockey League for one season after he graduates and then join the Gophers.

Barriball, a 5-foot-9-inch senior forward, will likely do the same.

Three invited to camp

Minnesota women’s hockey sophomore Bobbi Ross and incoming freshmen Brittony Chartier and Melanie Gagnon have been selected to attend the Under-22 Canadian Hockey Development and Selection Camp, held Aug. 12-21 in Calgary, Alberta.

The camp will be used to select 18 players to play against Canada’s National Women’s Centralized Team in a three-game series Aug. 23, 25 and 26 in Calgary, Alberta.

Tollackson in Europe

Sophomore Spencer Tollackson will represent the Gophers on the Big Ten Foreign Tour, which takes place Aug. 9-19.

Michigan game on ABC

Minnesota’s football team will have its Oct. 8 game at Michigan televised on ABC Sports at noon. It will be the ninth game in school history to be televised on ABC.