Gentil defensive player of the week again

Minnesota volleyball’s senior libero Paula Gentil was named Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week on Monday. It is the second time this year Gentil has been honored with the award.

In Friday’s four-game win at Michigan, Gentil recorded a season-high 35 digs to go along with three service aces.

She followed that performance by tallying 25 digs and two service aces Saturday in the Gophers’ four-game win at Michigan State.

Minnesota also remained at No. 17 in the Division I volleyball rankings, released Monday. The Gophers are one of five Big Ten teams ranked in the Top 25.

Penn State is the highest-ranked conference team. This week the Nittany Lions are ranked third in the country.

Game time announced

The game time for the Minnesota football team’s game at Iowa on Nov. 19 was set for 11 a.m., the Big Ten Conference announced Monday.

The contests will be televised nationally on ESPN2. It is the last regular season game for both teams.

Everson second

Minnesota wrestler Matt Everson, a sophomore, took second place at 157 pounds in this weekend’s Warren Williamson/Dakronics Open in Brookings, S.D.

Everson – 4-1 in the tournament – registered a pin and won two major decisions en route to the finals at 157.

But in the finals, he was forced to default to Matt Collum of Iowa Community College because of injury.

Mitchell third

Minnesota women’s cross country freshman Ayla Mitchell finished third in Sunday’s Rocky Run at Les Bolstad Golf Course in St. Paul. She finished the 5 kilometer course in a time of 19:02.

Fellow freshman Ariella DePrenger-Gottfried finished fifth with a time of 19:09, and junior Stefanie Zeihen took sixth in 19:30.

Minnesota rested its top runners in preparation for the NCAA regional meet in Iowa City, Iowa, on Saturday.