Student dies after fall

First-year student Kyle Sharbonno died Sunday after falling off a U parking ramp.

A first-year student died Sunday at the Hennepin County Medical Center after he fell from the third level of the Oak Street parking ramp.

Kyle Sharbonno, 19, died from injuries caused by the fall. The Hennepin County Medical Examiner has not released the exact cause of death.

University police said no foul play is suspected.

Sharbonno’s death comes three days after an accidental drowning of another first-year student, Elomo Lenya.

According to the University police

report, an officer responded to a report of an “intoxicated male stumbling in the lobby/elevator area of the parking ramp” at 1:36 a.m.

University Police Deputy Chief Steve Johnson said Central Security surveillance cameras spotted Sharbonno alone.

“He appeared to be intoxicated,” Johnson said.

While the officer was on the ramp searching for the student, 911 calls came from witnesses reporting they saw the student fall, Johnson said.

“It appears to be a tragic accident at this time,” he said.

But police are still investigating what led to the incident.

Nursing sophomore Michelle Hisdahl said she saw Sharbonno walking on the third level of the parking ramp from her apartment in Argyle House.

She said she watched him climb over to sit on the ledge. She dialed 911, but waited to press the call button.

He sat there for about 10 seconds and then fell, she said.

“It didn’t look purposeful, but I can’t say for sure,” she said.

She couldn’t see exactly what Sharbonno was doing as he sat on the ledge because a tree partially obstructed her view. He could have slipped from the ledge because it was raining that night, she said.

Hisdahl and a friend ran outside and called 911. Several witnesses were already on the scene, she said.

Sharbonno was taken to the Hennepin County Medical Center where he died Sunday afternoon, Johnson said.

Jordan Weber, applied economics and marketing sophomore, who was friends with Sharbonno, said he had no reason to jump and that it was an accident.

“He was a good kid,” Weber said. “I had a meal plan and ate lunch with him at the dorms; he seemed to be doing really well.”

In a statement released by the University News Service Monday, Vice Provost for Student Affairs Jerry Rinehart said University counselors are available to those who knew or have been impacted by the deaths of Kyle Sharbonno and Elomo Lenya.

“The University will continue to provide whatever support we can to the families during this difficult time,” Rinehart said.

“Our thoughts and prayers go out to the families and friends of each of these students.”