Yudof upholds contract decision in Boston case

University President Mark Yudof made his final decision Friday regarding McKinley Boston’s position as vice president of student development, announcing he would not renew Boston’s contract.
With the final hours of Boston’s contract approaching, it was rumored that the University might find a place for him at the University. However, Yudof held to his original position and decided not to renew his contract.
Instead, Boston will serve under Bob Bruininks, executive vice president and provost, until Aug. 30, helping interim vice president of student development Robert Jones make the transition.
In November, Yudof said he was not going to extend Boston’s contract after men’s athletics director Mark Dienhart’s resignation was announced.
Yudof’s decision came after University investigators found widespread violations within the men’s basketball program.
The University found that more than 400 academic papers were written for several men’s basketball players, and that professors had changed grades in order to keep the student-athletes eligible.
Although evidence did not implicate Dienhart and Boston directly, Yudof said the administrators should have been proactive and known about the problems in the basketball program.
Besides Boston and Dienhart, associate men’s athletics director Jeff Schemmel, NCAA compliance director Chris Schoemann and former academic counselor Alonzo Newby all lost their jobs as a result of the academic fraud scandal.
Late Friday afternoon, Boston said he was comfortable with leaving the University and was preparing for the future.
“I’m disappointed that I couldn’t be leaving on different circumstances,” he said. “It’s unfortunate that a dishonest, immoral person can in effect ruin a lot of lives.”
Boston didn’t comment on his post-University plans, but said he is looking forward to new opportunities.
University general counsel Mark Rotenberg said he enjoyed working with Boston and was sad to see him go.
“There is a lot of good feeling for (Boston) here on campus and we wish him the best,” he said. “He has worked hard for years to enhance student life here on campus.”
He added: “(Boston) has always felt very strongly that students are the center of this University.”