Editors picks

Sage Francis with Ice Rod and Medida; American Safari; Capturing the Friedmans; Benefit Concerts for Tomoko “Gan” Iwatsuki; Jesse Paul Miller

Sage Francis with Ice Rod and Medida
9:30 p.m. Wednesday, The Cabooze, $10 for 18 to 21 / $8 for 21-plus

Sage Francis is one of the best and most followed MCs in underground hip-hop today. And as a friend of the almighty Rhymesayers crew, he often graces the Twin Cities with his awesome live shows.

After years of releasing desktop-published CDs, Francis’ official debut, “Personal Journals,” finally dropped in 2002. The acclaimed CD is full of complex production and poetic songwriting.

Life has been heating up for the talented MC as of late. He is set to release a new album (“Hope”) in October with producer Joe Beats, under the group name Non-Prophets. And earlier this year Francis signed a three-album deal with punk mega-label Epitaph. It only goes up from here. (Tom Horgen)

American Safari
8 p.m., Sept. 27, 29, Oct. 2, 3, 4;
7 p.m., Sept. 28
Illusion Theater, 528 Hennepin Ave., Minneapolis (612) 339-4944
Tickets $22 general, $15 students. Sept. 29 students “pay what you can”

Take a journey through America down Route 66 in a miniature ’57 Chevy with the Margolis Brown Theater Company’s American Safari. Called the “most entertaining and innovative traveling show in recent years” by the Phoenix New Times, the show uses powerful staging, new music, video and different uses for household objects to create its masterpiece. Be forewarned: lawn chairs, barbecues and the neighbors will never be the same again. That could be a good thing. (Katie Wilber)

Capturing the Friedmans
9:45 p.m. nightly, Sept. 19-25, Bell Auditorium, $6 general, $5 students/seniors, $4 U Film Society members

This film is returning to the Twin Cities after successful runs across the country. The Daily first brought you coverage of this documentary gem over the summer break, and if you missed its run at the Lagoon, you can catch it on campus.

This is the true and twisted tale of a seemingly normal family, their all but normal activities and their ultimately dangerous obsession with documentation. It’s funny, creepy and entertaining, just like you. (Gabriel Shapiro)

Benefit Concerts for Tomoko “Gan” Iwatsuki
Saturday, September 20th, Dillinger Four, Sweet J.A.P., So Fox, The Voltz
Sunday, September 21, Faux Jean,
The Soviettes, Monarques, Clip Beaks
Big V’s, 1567 University Ave.,
St. Paul, 21+

Rock ‘n’ roll has been used to support some good causes throughout the years. Farm Aid, USA for Africa, and a several other high profile concerts and albums have raised big bucks when people have run into times of great need.

On a local level, similar events have been held to raise money to pay medical bills, support local charities and raise awareness on political issues. This benefit is similar, but more “straight-from-the-heart” than most.

Tomoko Iwatsuki, “Gan” to her many, many friends, has been languishing for weeks in an Elk River, Minn., prison cell after being taken in to custody for immigration violations. Her husband, former Selby Tigers drummer and American citizen David Gatchell, and friends want desperately to bring her home to St. Paul. So they’re pulling out all the stops with not one, but two huge rock extravaganzas. The proceeds will go to pay Iwatsuki’s legal fees and airfare (if needed). Show up, rock out and help the friendliest girl you may not have yet met get back to where she once belonged. (Gabriel Shapiro)

Jesse Paul Miller
7 p.m., Thursday, Katherine E. Nash Gallery, 405 21st Ave. S.

If you haven’t explored the fancy new buildings tucked away behind the Rarig Center and Middlebrook Hall, now’s your chance. The new facilities are pretty incredible.

Multi-media artist Jesse Paul Miller will be lecturing at the Nash Museum Thursday night. If you are an aspiring artist, or just a major graphic design wonk, this is the one lecture you do not want to miss. Come to ask questions to improve your own work, or if you just want to sit and experience how amazingly creative some individuals are, you are welcome to do that as well. (Jenny Phan)