Gophers take 4th in match play

Only one Minnesota golfer finished the event with a winning record.

The Minnesota menâÄôs golf team began its spring season with Big Ten Match Play this weekend in Coral Gables, Fla., finishing in fourth place. MinnesotaâÄôs top golfer, senior Ben Pisani, led the Gophers past Indiana 3.5 to 2.5 in the first round Friday, with freshman Erik van Rooyen and sophomore Derek Chang also taking victories. The Gophers fell to Purdue on Saturday 4.5 to 1.5, with junior Donald Constable managing a tie in his match. Constable transferred from the University of Texas after the fall season, returning to his home state where he won the state championship in 2005 and 2006 as a golfer for Minnetonka High School. The Gophers went on to face Iowa in the third-place consolation match, where they fell 3.5 to 2.5. Northwestern took down Purdue 6.0 to 0.0 to take first place in the tournament. Van Rooyen was the only Gophers competitor to come away with a winning record, finishing 2-1-0. Pisani and Chang both finished 1-1-1, while senior Thomas Campbell and Constable were the only Gophers to not win a match, both finishing 0-2-1. Also competing over the weekend was freshman Robert Bell, who finished 1-2-0. The Gophers will be back in action for the Alumni Challenge on Feb. 20 in Scottsdale, Ari.