Deal gives UMore

Hats off to the administration for finding a way to help students and the environment.

The regents have approved the exchange of part of UMore Park to the state of Minnesota. This means the reality of an on-campus stadium is closer and more practical than ever. Hopefully the pristine land of UMore Park will remain so.

The University’s proposal has many perks for both sides. Proposed student fees increases to cover the remaining cost of the stadium will be cut in half, taking financial burden off the shoulders of those already paying ever-increasing tuition costs. The state will manage the park with the University and will be able to help conserve the area into the future. It is a way for the state to help pay for the stadium while getting something extra for itself.

Although it is apparent the state and the University are aware of the incredible value of this preserved land, it is important the state guarantees to protect the land far into the future.

Agreeing on using the land as a public nature preserve now might not be as important 50 years down the road. When the stadium is finished and the currently involved people aren’t around, there may not be many to raise red flags when alternate uses for the land are proposed. There is always a need for money and more condos.

There needs to be a concrete and infinite agreement between the state and the University on the use of the land of UMore Park as a nature preserve. The land will only continue to hold such high value if the land is protected to remain as it is today.

As the proposal has been approved by the University’s Board of Regents, the plan is to transfer stewardship of the 2,840 acres of land near Rosemount to the state of Minnesota. This will further the connection the University holds with the state. The two are working together to preserve and protect the beauty of Minnesota, and they also are working together to make an on-campus football stadium a reality.

Thanks, administration, for helping lift a bit of financial burden off students’ shoulders, while doing something good for the Minnesota environment. The land just as easily could have been sold to a developer to build housing and fast-food restaurants.