Student exposes himself in Rec Center

A University of Minnesota student is facing misdemeanor indecent exposure charges for strolling around naked in the University Recreation Center Thursday night, University police said. The man walked nude into the aquatic center a short time after he swam to grab his forgotten towel, Rec Center lifeguard Mark Frost said. When approached by staff, the man became argumentative, University police Deputy Chief Chuck Miner said. Frost said the naked man was a regular swimmer at the pool. The man is facing similar charges for a March 3 incident as well. In both incidents, the man was spotted walking naked in the tunnel and pool area, the police report stated. Because the investigation is still in progress, the studentâÄôs name and age have not yet been made public, University police Chief Greg Hestness said. Frost said the other patrons of the pool were âÄúin awe,âÄù âÄúspeechlessâÄù and âÄúshockedâÄù after they spotted the naked man. The student will likely face disciplinary action from the Office for Student Conduct . The OSC has the power to suspend or expel students. The Rec Center can also restrict or suspend the studentâÄôs access privileges.

Weapon in Coffman

A man possessing a knife with an eight-inch serrated blade was removed from Coffman Memorial Union Thursday morning by University police. He was issued citations for trespassing and possessing a knife longer than four inches, the police report said. The 38-year-old man was approached by a police officer on foot-beat near the Coffman escalators. A building and grounds worker notified the cops that the man had been loitering in Coffman for days, the police report said. The suspect was cooperative when approached by police. He reacted truthfully when asked if he had any weapons, and did not attempt to resist arrest. Miner said that while the suspect was cooperative, police must act on instinct if a person looks suspicious when approached. If police are suspicious of a subject, certain body movements may result in a weapons search, Miner said. Trespassing tickets are issued several times each month in Coffman for homeless people. Coffman has unique building regulations going back to the 1930s, Miner said. These rules allow University police to remove homeless people from the building. Students, staff members, faculty and guests are the only people officially allowed in the building, Miner said.