Student aims to create deaf club

Johnny Michael has traveled a difficult road while attending college as a deaf student. Now Michael, an art senior, is developing the University’s only club centered specifically on deaf culture.

The club’s purpose will be to provide extra assistance for deaf students throughout their academic careers, educate American Sign Language interpreters and expose the campus community to deaf culture, Michael said through an interpreter.

Dann Trainer, disability specialist at student services, has been working with Michael to get the deaf club under way.

“Socialization here on this large campus is a big issue,” he said. “The deaf and hard-of-hearing community on campus is very small, there are communication challenges.”

Michael said he has personally experienced many communication challenges throughout his educational path, which is why he’s interested in starting a deaf club.

He grew up in Ethiopia, where he went to a school for the deaf. In 1993, he was driven out of his home by civil war and came to America to attend college as a refugee.

Michael was immediately faced with the reality of the vast differences between African Sign Language and American Sign Language, he said.

“I went up to deaf people and started signing, asking, ‘Can you understand me?’ and they did not know what I was signing,” Michael said.

“I had no support,” he said. “It was very frustrating.”

Even in school Michael was faced with seemingly insurmountable barriers.

“Teachers picked on me,” he said, “and I had to go through a lot of turmoil.”

Eventually Michael was able to teach himself American Sign Language by rigorously practicing in front of a mirror.

In 2005, Michael moved to Minnesota to attend the University. As he approaches graduation in May, this year marks his 15th year in college.

Michael said he wants to help deaf students like himself overcome the challenges he’s faced throughout his academic career.

At this point, the club is still in its early stages. Michael applied for a $1,000 Coca-Cola grant from the University to establish start-up funding.

He has been working closely with the Disabled Student Cultural Center to build the club’s foundation.

Rachel Garahty, president of the DSCC, said she is open to allowing the deaf club use of its office for meetings, and eventually becoming a subgroup of the DSCC.

Together, they planned a social event that will serve as the foreground for potential group members to meet and exchange ideas. The Oct. 3 event will take place at the Riverbend Plaza.

“It will plant a seed, and I am hoping it will grow,” said Michael.

Although Michael is optimistic, the club still has a long way to go before gaining official status.

For the deaf club to become an official University organization, Michael will first have to find a minimum of four other members to become group officers.

They will have to compose a club constitution, attend an adviser meeting and sign an equal opportunity statement form. The club will also be responsible for paying a $25 annual registration fee, according to the Student Union & Activities requirements.

Megan Sweet, assistant director of student activities, plays the role of helping student groups establish themselves.

“A club that is dedicated to serving or broadening experience toward hearing impaired would be a great addition to campus,” Sweet said.

Michael is hoping the group gains official University status during spring semester, before he graduates.

“It’s hard for deaf people to live in a hearing world,” Michael said. “I would like to help them have a better education.”