Men’s Hockey Live Blog: Minnesota vs. British Columbia

A few pre-game notes as we approach 15 minutes before the start of the game:

Minnesota First Line:

Left Wing-Mike Hoeffel

Center-Jordan Schroeder

Right Wing-Jay Barriball

No real surprises there, as Schroeder is the Gophers best player and Hoeffel and Barriball bring veteran experience to the first line.

Defensive First Line:

Left-Seth Helgeson

Right-Cade Fairchild

A freshman, Helgeson has been mentioned by Lucia as a person he is counting on to bring more physicality, and with a 6 foot 5 inch 220 pound frame, he can certainly set a more physical tone.

The second defensive line has freshman Nick Leddy joined with David Fischer, and the third defensive line will be Aaron Ness and Sam Lofquist.

The Gophers second line has senior co-captain Ryan Flynn and Patrick White at the wings, with Mike Carman at center. Fellow co-captain Tony Lucia and freshman Josh Birkholz will play the wing on the third line, with Nico Sacchetti at center. The fourth line will have Jake Hansen and freshman Zach Budish at wings, with Taylor Matson, who is playing his first game since an ACL injury ended his 2008-09 season, at the center position.

Kent Patterson, and not Alex Kangas, is the starter at goalie. Kangas is reported out with the flu.

Time for the national anthem and the drop of the first puck of the Minnesota 2009-10 men’s hockey season.

17:21 1st-B.C. is on the power play after Brian Schack of the Gophers was called for holding. 15:21 1st-Power play ends with a rather uneventful two-minute series. Both teams are feeling each other out in the opening minutes. 13:17 1st-Minnesota gets its first power play of the season after a two-minute penalty for elbowing on John Flatters of B.C. 12:48 1st-29 seconds into the power play, Jay Barriball finds the back of the net after a feed from Jordan Schroeder, and the Gophers are now on the board. Second assist went to Cade Fairchild. MINNESOTA 1, BRITISH COLUMBIA 0. 6:54 1st-Minnesota continues to dominate play as we head to an official time out. The Gophers are dominating puck play, with most of the game’s action seen on British Columbia’s side of ice. Minnesota could easily have one more goal, as a puck found Schroeder right in front of the net, but he was unable to maintain control of the puck before it was knocked away. 00:45 1st-With 45 seconds left in the period, Mike Hoeffel extends the Gophers lead to two on a goal from in front of the net. Jordan Schroeder tallies his second point of the game on his second assist, with an assist also credited to Jay Barriball. MINNESOTA 2, BRITISH COLUMBIA 0. 00:00 1st-The first period comes to an end with the Gophers firmly in control 2-0. The majority of the first period was spent with Minnesota in control on British Columbia’s side of the ice, and the Gophers have had further chances to extend the lead. There were some sloppy passes early on, but Minnesota looks to have cleared that issue up as the period went on. 1st Intermission Re-Cap: Goals: Minnesota 2 (Barriball, Hoeffel), Barriball scored on power play; British Columbia 0. Shots on Goal: Minnesota 13, British Columbia 5. Penalties: Minnesota 1, British Columbia 1. Instant Analysis: One period into the season, Minnesota has two goals on 13 shots and is easily in control of the game. The Gophers have had one shot hit the pipe, and have had multiple chances to further their lead on several nice passes that were unable to be handled in front of the net. An update on Alex Kangas: Kangas is out with the flu, and is not on the bench. The back up goalie is sophomore Jake Kremer. 19:02 2nd-British Columbia came out in the second period strong, and had a puck deflected off Patterson’s skate that was nearly tipped in before it was cleared by a Gophers defenseman. 12:18 2nd-Minnesota withstood the attack by B.C. and countered with a goal from Cade Fairchild. Fairchild took the pass from Tony Lucia inside of the right circle and fired the shot past B.C. goalie Francois Thout to give the Gophers a three goal lead. MINNESOTA 3, BRITISH COLUMBIA 0. 9:01 2nd-After a Gopher turnover in their own zone, British Columbia capitalized on the mistake, scoring on a three-on-one advantage. Freshman Max Grassi scored for B.C., with an assist by Brandon Campos. MINNESOTA 3, BRITISH COLUMBIA 1. 7:57 2nd-Minnesota answers the B.C. goal with one of its own. Tony Lucia intercepted a B.C. pass in the Minnesota zone and took it all the way back to the B.C. end before firing a shot that found the right corner of the net for the score. MINNESOTA 4, BRITISH COLUMBIA 1. 6:21 2nd-Minnesota gets its second penalty of the game, when Jay Barriball is sent to the box for two minutes for hooking. 4:21 2nd-The power play ends with no real opportunities for B.C., and the Gophers now return to full-strength. 00:00 2nd-An eventful second period ends with Mike Carman on the wrong end of a hard hit that left him on the ice for several seconds. Carman skated off on his own power, and appeared to be fine. He was seen jawing at a B.C. player immediately after the conclusion of the period, before two officials separated the two. Minnesota is cruising through two periods with a three goal lead. 2nd Intermission Re-Cap: Goals: Minnesota 2 (Fairchild, Lucia), British Columbia 1 (Max Grassi) Shots on Goal: Minnesota 7, British Columbia 4 Penalties: Minnesota 1, British Columbia 0 Instant Analysis: While the second period produced fewer shots, the quality of the shots improved; a total of three goals were scored during second period play. After a Fairchild goal, B.C. got on the board following a Gophers turnover. Any momentum was lost for B.C. as just over a minute after the B.C. goal Tony Lucia intercepted a pass in the Minnesota zone and skated the length of the ice, finishing with a goal in the back of the B.C. net to put the Gophers lead back at three. As play gets set to begin in the third period Minnesota looks in control, and is appearing close to winning its 12th consecutive exhibition game, second in as many years against B.C. 20:00 3rd-With the game firmly in control, Gophers head coach Don Lucia decided to give Kent Patterson the third period off, putting in sophomore Jake Kremer. Patterson finished the day with eight saves. 12:05 3rd-B.C. will be on another power play, as Minnesota sophomore Jake Hansen was called for interference. 11:44 3rd-A Gophers shot was deflected off the glove of B.C. goalie Thout, and Thout reached out to catch it before it fell back into the net. The play is under review, as officials will look to see if the puck crossed the red line before Thout could catch it with his glove. 11:44 3rd-The ruling is the save was made before the puck passed the redline, and play continues with the Gophers ahead 4-1. 10:05 3rd-Hansen returns from the penalty box, and Minnesota is back on full strength. 7:40 3rd-Minnesota adds a goal late on a turn-around shot by sophomore Nico Sacchetti, and the Gophers look to have the game wrapped up 5-1. MINNESOTA 5, BRITISH COLUMBIA 1. 5:43 3rd-The Gophers are now on a penalty, as British Columbia’s Jason Lynch was assessed a two-minute penalty for holding. 5:25 3rd-Minnesota continues to pour it on, scoring 18 seconds into the power play. This time it was freshman Nick Leddy in front of the net, with assists from Barriball and Sacchetti. MINNESOTA 6, BRITISH COLUMBIA 1. 4:34 3rd-The Gophers will again be on the power play, as British Columbia’s Ryan Kakoske received two-minutes for hooking. 00:57 3rd-Tensions between the teams boil over, and the result is four players being sent to the penalty box for the remainder of the contest. Schack received two separate two-minute penalties for roughing and high sticking after getting into a brief fight with British Columbia’s John Flatters. Flatters also received two-minute penalties for roughing and high sticking. Hansen also received two minutes for roughing, and for British Columbia Bill Smith received two minutes for roughing. FINAL-The game ends fittingly on a last-second shot by the Gophers, and Minnesota easily wins 6-1. MINNESOTA 6, BRITISH COLUMBIA 1.